Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloominonion

Help with walkway plantings!

BloominOnion
9 years ago

I've done so much research and am trying to figure out planting for either side of the walkway. It gets full sun all day. The plants must be deer resistant. Small barberry? Boxwood? There are many shrubs I like, but they're not evergreen, so I want winter interest and not barren looking shrubs:( I need advice!:) the walkway is approx 23'

Comments (8)

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

They make a bunch of Holly shrubs that stay small.Some shrub Dogwoods also stay small, take pruning and have winter interest (yellow and red stems). Don't know about deer resistant, mine aren't bothered here in York County. Itea also aren't bothered other than some of the tips eaten sometimes. They grow into a 3ft tall thicket, have red stems in the fall/winter, white flowers in the spring.

• BloominOnion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

O.K.-thank you!

• janie58
    9 years ago

I thought I would offer you a few suggestions. In my neck of the woods (Pocono Mtns.) the deer eat just about everything! I live in a very wooded development and the deer population has grown very large the last few years. As far as shrubs, the deer here were eating my hollies, rhodies, forsythia, and dwarf burning bushes. Last year they killed my rhodies and did a number on my hollies. This spring I put up deer fencing around some of my forsythia, hollies, and burning bushes. Not attractive, but at least the plants have been given a chance to grow.

I have a few medium size boxwoods and the deer don't bother them at all. The only thing I find about boxwoods is that they are very susceptible to winter burn. I wrap them in burlap before winter sets in to protect them.

I am actually considering planting some barberry shrubs myself. Some of my neighbors have them and they seem to do very well and the deer leave them alone.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Pickel Landscape Group
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would suggest that you do a layering effect to give depth instead of straight lines of shrubs. You can mix in some small grasses along the front like Elijah Blue with spring blooming bulbs. (stay away from tulips, the deer love them!) Try flowering onions, daffodils, and hyacinths (which will have a lovely fragrance). Helleborus is an early spring bloomer that also offers evergreen foliage for winter interest.

For your summer interest look for unique varieties of echiniceas. Rudbeckia is a carefree flower with plenty of flowers. Lobelia will attract hummingbirds if that is something you're interested in. Salvia, and cat mint add interest from late spring to late summer.

And for the "Bones" of the plantings, look at Boxwoods, Winterberry (Red Sprite, and Winter Gold are my favorites!) or smaller hollies like hoogendorn.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

• PRO
    Nattapon Landscape Design
    9 years ago

small boxwood and either catmint or lavender in between on both side of that walkway. dogwood on the right side of this picture around down sprout area and away from the house and combination with holly and hydrangea lime light or any white color flower below that window. few more holly or mound shape evergreen and plants some perennials in front to add some color to it.

• Larkspur
    9 years ago

My Winter Gem boxwoods came through this nasty winter looking pretty good. I second the catmint or lavender idea-- sounds lovely!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I would do catmint. I've done that in my own yard along the concrete walkway leading to our garage and it's beautiful. Low maintenance. Just cut back in the Spring. It's a hardy perennial, that's beautiful and long blooming. I've divided it many times and replanted it throughout the garden. Love it!

Sponsored