Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing lupines in Philly area?

Posted by lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 13:42

I can't grow lupines due to burning hot sun in my yard, but I am wondering if anyone has experience growing them in the metro Philly area? Under what conditions do they thrive (or not thrive)? I'm teaching a class and I'm wondering if these plants are grown here much. They thrive in my home state of MI but I don't see them much in PA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing lupines in Philly area?

Too hot here for lupines - unfortunately! They grow wild in Maine and they are beautiful. They are similar to delphiniums - they may grow for a year but it is hard to get them to return. You have to treat them like annuals.

o

The only lupine I ever had any luck with isn't even a lupine but is sold as one carolina lupine. It's big and yellow It looks more like baptista or false indigo.

o

• Posted by deb2 Z6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 10:44

I do know that there is someone in my area (appr. 40 miles NW of Philly) that grows them and they are stunning when in bloom. They are there each year. I don't know if the plant is coming back each year or if they are reseeding.

o

• Posted by rebow 6 Philly (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 13:29

I must be a glutton for punishment b/c I 've tried these several times in the various microclimates in my yard and they always die. I live 25 minutes NW of Philly

o

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but thought I might give you some positive experience growing lupines here. I live in Princeton, NJ and have been finally successful growing lupines. In fact, the same plants come back the following year, even bigger; as well as new baby plants coming in volunteer spots! Good luck - it can be done!

o

I can grow them in SW Pa in partial shade. Try morning sun only in SE Pa. They are easy to grow from seed also.

o

I also grow them here in Lancaster, but they are short-lived perennials in the best of times. They don't like hot baking sun, so I grow them in morning sun, plus they like an acid soil, so I add a soil amendment when I plant them (maybe some pine needles). Mulch them well to keep the roots cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here