Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

Where to find paw paws or american persimmons in Lehigh Valley?

alexander3_gw
17 years ago

Hello,

Does anyone know of a farmer's market in or near the Lehigh Valley where I could find paw paw or american persimmon fruit? Alternatively, I'd settle for the location of said trees growing wild. I had no luck at the Allentown market last year.

Alex

Comments (8)

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Have you tried the Quakertown Farmers Market? There are several excellent produce stands there.

• aspenbooboo41
    17 years ago

Maybe Wegmans or Valley Farm Market ?

• v_yalee
    8 years ago

Paw Paw Tree pollination.

I'm looking for someone in the Lehigh Valley who has a mature
    flowering Paw Paw tree, who is will to let me collect a little pollen
    with a Q-Tip for my single Paw Paw tree.

• alexander3_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funny, I started this thread almost 9 years ago!!

I'm in Bethlehem Township, and have several pawpaw trees that will be flowering soon. I'd be happy to share pollen and meet another pawpaw grower! Not sure how this works since houzz took over, but you should be abel to send me a personal message to my email somehow.

Alex

• v_yalee
    8 years ago

Alex, Thanks very much for
    your offer of the Paw Paw pollen. I found a source for the Paw Paw
    pollen only three miles from my home. This gentleman who offered the
    pollen, is a very interesting and friendly person, who likes to
    experiment like me. The gentleman’s lives near Huff's Church for
    the past 50 years, and grows many interesting plants and trees on his
    farm. I think he grows these plants half for a hobby and half to
    sell. He seems much like myself, with too many interests and not
    enough time to accomplish them all. LOL Thanks again Alex.

• bill999
    8 years ago

My Pawpaw in the Pittsburgh suburbs finally is putting out abundant flowers these last two years. I drove into the city and accessed a large Pawpaw grove planted in a public park to find pollen. Since it's warmer in the city the flowers were more developed than mine so I clipped two short branches that had blossoms and brought them home and kept them in a water bucket. When their anthers turned brown and crumbly I used an artist's brush to transfer pollen to my tree in which the stigmas looked ripe and firm and the anthers were still packed tightly (unripe.) It's too early to claim success since my flowers are only now starting to dry up. In another week I think all the flowers will have fallen and I can look for fruit to start. My fingers are crossed.

• Danielle H
    8 years ago

Where did you get your trees from?

• bill999
    8 years ago

Danielle: Both my trees, the mature 17 year old and the 4 foot sapling, now four years old, came to me bare-root from Stark Brothers Nursery. I had several over the years that did not survive also from SB. Update on my hand pollination: I have seven nice fruits growing very rapidly now.

Sponsored