Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tla628

Help designing the flower beds

tla628
10 years ago

I'm starting over with my flower beds in the front of my house. Please take a look at the pic and offer your suggestions. I cleaned out almost everything but a few daylillies, balloon flowers, and two low mounding perennials that have yellow/orange flowers. I plan on transplanting all of these as well. I do have a Julie Child rose bush on the right I would like to keep where it's at.

Harrisburg area, house faces the east, clay soil mix.

Comments (3)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Nice house! The yard looks a little empty though. You could try posting in the landscape design forum, the recommendations are usually kind of cookie cutter but you should be able to get a couple ideas from there too.
    I would consider a butterfly bush (best planted in spring, not fall) for some quick height, maybe another rose like a knockout which should grow as well as the Julia Childs (as long as there's a color you like).
    You could probably divide up the daylilies to give more clumps, otherwise tall sedums, phlox, coneflowers, lambs ears.... many perennials should do well in a morning sun bed even with the clay soil.
    I have a post over on the design forum, you may want to check it out and then take my advice with a grain of salt. It's not the prettiest front bed.
    Oh and have you considered a boxwood on either side of the walk where it meets the sidewalk or street? It might frame the walk nice and kind of bring your garden out to the street, making it look bigger. Just not too close to the street due to salt etc.

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

You have a nice blank slate. I agree with kato that you could use a few evergreens in the front. That would give you something to look at all year. The challenge is the placement, since the front door is slightly of to one side, you should not make the planting symmetrical. With a landscape plan you could plant the perennials and shrubs as you budget permits. Great yard . I am from Harrisburg too - if you need help email me -

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• demeron
    10 years ago

Facing East-- bearing in mind I am not an expert, but some evergreens to consider are inkberry holly or boxwood. I quite like my PJM rhodies for my East facing foundation, though my Yaku Prince has never done much. I have blue lacecap hydrangeas, the rhodies, and I recently put in some Cayuga viburnum. I am in Mechanicsburg and we are blessed with some wonderful local nurseries. You could try Better Homes and Garden's landscape design tool-- it's fun just to get an idea of shapes. You can make that space really wonderful. Good luck!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz