Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoforce_gw

Why pick on Buddlea?

geoforce
14 years ago

I know this is a question that will raise ire as I see the vehement anti-buddlea postings, but I ask why? I have lived here in SE PA for over 40 years. I have traveled to virtually every part of the state many times and in all seasons.

I have NEVER seen a seedling butterfly bush at any distance from a garden!!

On the other hand, one plant I can find thousands of within a mile of my home and which will completely cover and destroy many plants in short order is Clematis ternifolia or Sweet Autumn Clematis. This plant is touted and promoted with vigor in many post and I have never seen an anti-clematis harangue here.

Why??

George

Comments (8)

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I *HATE* Sweet Autumn Clematis! It is one of the few plants that I will go after with both barrels of Round Up blazin'! However, I have not seen any rogue butterfly bushes, so maybe we are travling the same paths? And where did you see it listed as an invasive - it isn't on the list that I usually reference.

Another one I absolutely cannot abide is Ranunculus ficaria (the invasive yellow spring flowers) they are immune to pulling, digging (unless you get lucky and remove all the tubers) and Round Up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: PA invasive plant list

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

I personally love both butterfly bush and sweet autumn clematis! U know what they say, one persons weed is anothers rose! Lol

• terrain
    14 years ago

This link explains a little. It's from the same place that caliloo got theirs but a little more detailed. Buddleia is on the watch list. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't escaped or isn't a potential problem.

Luckily they're working on the Buddleia conundrum and have come up with a couple cultivars so far that are sterile or have minimal seeds: 'Miss Ruby' and 'Lo & Behold Blue Chip'

And don't forget about the other very popular members of this group: Euonymus 'Compacta' (Burning Bush) and Berberis thunbergii (Japanese Barberry). These 2 are proven invasive and people still plant them everywhere! It is hard to give up on a plant that has so much to offer, but with a little creative thinking and experimentation other plants that are just as great can be used instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Exotic Plant Tutorial

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

All the plants mentioned above are problems, or becoming problems in Philadelphia and the Philly suburbs, where I garden for a living.

I pull up clematis ternifolia, barberry, burning bush and butterfly bushes, not to mention privet, wisteria and porcelain berry vines seedlings every day from the gardens that I tend. The biggest problems that I've experienced with these invasive - or potentially invasive - plants have been in gardens that border our large urban park, where invasives have run rampant.

• geoforce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My biggest problem with "invasives run rampant" is not with a plant but the deer that the local eco-wackos will not let anyone kill. They have destroyed more of the native ecology than all the other non-natives combined. I am about fed up with those who whine over plant intruders which can be easily controlled in most cases and defend the deer which are far more destructive.

George

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Well said George - they are by far the worst problem we all face!

Alexa

• neverenoughflowers
    14 years ago

I have to agree - the deer are by far the worst invaders - they have destroyed so many of our shrubs and small trees - we live on 6 acres in Chester County, about 4 of which are wooded and there is virtually no understory growth in the woods, everything is eaten. Now my vegetable garden is under attack and it is surrounded with 8' high deer fencing. They just push through it or against it and knock it down. I'd be thrilled to have an invasion of buddleia!

• greengardener07
    14 years ago

Honestly, I am constantly pulling butterfly bush seedlings. It is a very nice bush, but if you can control it. It is not native to North America, but the conditions are right in certain areas for it to thrive.

There are areas around here where there used to be native plants in the woods, but no more, now they are overrun with butterfly bushes.

This species is very easy to propagate, which translates to low costs, which makes them easy to sell, and people want to buy affordable plants that grow fast. Seems like a win-win, right?

Economically it make sense to sell these.

Environmentally, it is APPALLING.

The native eco-system was fine before we got here. I do not want to imagine that it can get worse, but I fear it will unless people undertand the delicate balance each eco-system aroung us.

Think native! They are adapted to the area already. They need little maintenance and even less water.

That is a win-win!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County