Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Evergreen suggestions for large pots?

dakota01
11 years ago

I found 2 large pots on sale at Home Depot yesterday. THey are the fiberglass/stone pots w/o holes. They were so pretty I just had to buy them. LOL

I want to put them in the rear of my home on either side of the garage. The area is West facing, so it gets great morning sun.

Can anyone suggest a nice not too tall evergreen that would be pretty hardy and also disease/bug resistant?

Should I drill a few holes in the pots?

Should I put "peanuts" or rocks in the bottom? I don't want them to topple over in the winter winds.

Also, can I use regular garden dirt or do I need a version of Al's Potting Mix ?

IF I nedd Al's what version for evergreens?

Thanks in advance for responses!

Comment (1)

• Mike Larkin
    11 years ago

How large is the container? That will determine what you put in the pot.

I want to put them in the rear of my home on either side of the garage. The area is West facing, so it gets great morning sun. ( East is morning sun, west is PM sun but either should be ok )
    Can anyone suggest a nice not too tall evergreen that would be pretty hardy and also disease/bug resistant?
    Look for drawf evergreens, or conifers. Dwarf means that it grows slowly and will not outgrow the container ( in a few years) Eventually they will need to be moved into your yard. Also look for plants that are hardy in zone 5 or lower. I assume that you are zone 6. Not in your post. One zone lower will allow the plants roots to survive, since in will not have the earth to protect it. The pot is exposted all year to all elements .

Should I drill a few holes in the pots?
    Absolutley ! Many - Drainage is the key to sucess.

Should I put "peanuts" or rocks in the bottom? I don't want them to topple over in the winter winds. If they topple the plant may be too big for the pot.

Peanuts and rocks are not needed to improve drainge, they only take away the space avaiable for the roots to grow. (Look at Al's post on perched water table - In container Garden Forum. Lots of holes and a screen is all you need. Bagged potting soil is light weight and not that good for trees and shrubs in containers. The soil in the mixes you buy , are mostly peat, and over time compress, resulting in roots not being able to breath (yes roots need to breath) The peat is ok for annuals - short term - Go to the Container forum and look for Al's Gritty Mix, It requires that you go out and buy the ingriedients, but it will last much longer and be much better for the tree ( or anything you put in a container.
    Also, can I use regular garden dirt or do I need a version of Al's Potting Mix? No Dirt, it will just compact - yes to Al's Mix - either one works

IF I need Al's what version for evergreens? Either will be good. You may have difficulty with finding some of the ingriedients , if you post your location, I will help. The Gritty Mix is heavy and has the best drainage.

Thanks in advance for responses!

Plants - You will need to confirm you are zone 6
    Dwarf Hinoki Cypress
    Dwarf Alberta Spruce (altough it does get spider mites, it works great in containers)I think eastern exposure would be best.
    Dwarf Globe Blue Spruce
    Boxwood - many
    Juniper Gold Cone
    Juniper Blue Star
    Dwarf Arbrovatae -�Rheingold� arborvitae

Also some of the smaller conifers will be grafted high and look like a ball on a stick, This will give you more height, and can be underplanted with perenials

Mike

You will need to ocassionally fertilize. If you read Als post it will tell you that over ferlizing is bad, and a weak soultion of liquid fertilizer is good. If you need more info. just post.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?