Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for flowers that bloom in August

Posted by irishell725 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 17:08

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I am looking for help for my wedding. I am getting married in my best friend's backyard and I need to know what flowers I can plant that will bloom in mid to late August. She has several fruit trees(apple and pear). But no flowers in the back yard. I am looking more for flowers that can be planted in pots, unless it will be easy to plant now before winter comes.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for flowers that bloom in August

You might want to consider annuals in pots for a garden in August. Phlox and brown-eye susans are some of the perennials that should be blooming in August. Good luck!

o

In my garden still blooming even yet is
Dahlia (they get real bushy and big with gorgeous flowers)
There are 1000s of varities.
Portulaca
Petunia
Geranium
Russian Sage
You can buy some already flowering mini roses at the super market and give them out as favors, put them on your guests tables, they will look nice.
You can also buy some cut flower bouques at a place like Produce Junction and put them in baskets where you are to be married.
Or for a tropical feel, buy some big hibiscus already in pots and put them in the yard for pics.
Good Luck!
Just be sure to have plenty of shade available for your guests alsong for yourself, August is very hot and humid.

o

Black eyed susans are very easy to grow and, if planted as seed next spring, should be in fine form next August. Zinnias, Salvia coccinea, and Cosmos are additional choices which can be seeded in the spring for a strong August bloom. All of these can be grown without too much care, but you'll get a bit of an informal look, since all get fairly tall. I might mix the four in large beds for a nice english garden sort of look.

Many tamer (smaller) annuals could also be grown in beds in the ground or in pots. Marigolds are easy, garden sage usually peaks in August. Pansies and perhaps petunias should be avoided, because they may tend to poop out by August.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here