Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2011 What worked in your garden and what didnt work

Posted by plantman56 z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 18:32

Have you tried anything new in your garden? How are the existing plants doing. We have had lots of rain, what died , what did really well.

My yard looks really bad, the crab grass and grubs did great . The plants look good. I planted several Elephant Ear plants and they did fantastic. My garden did ok, first year for raised beds, I like the way I could keep my veg garden weed free in the raised beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: More stuff to read

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2011 What worked in your garden and what didnt work

my veggie garden was not even close to being weed free, all the rain gave an excellent coverage of crabgrass throughout the squash and beans and whatever else I planted..... I started dumping lawn clippings as a mulch after I gave up on weeding and that really did the trick. Things don't look too bad now.
Crabgrass also sprouted real well in the lawn, filling all the dead spots from last year's drought... at least it was welcome there.
We had almost no japanese beetles this year. That was nice. Plus most other pest laid low this year.... except the mosquitos.

The rain also meant nonstop mowing, but at least no watering!

I had some mums come back this spring. I made a little effort in transplanting and fertilizing and voila! beautiful blooms are coming on strong now. I'll have to repeat that next year!

but to pick one word for the 2011 season.... I'd choose 'rain'

o
RE: 2011 what didnt work

The sun came out and I was finally in the garden again. It reminded me of one of the things that did not work out. The blueberries I scrounged up last fall by hitting all the autumn clearances turned into rabbit food instead of the blueberry muffins I was hoping for. I guess I'll get a second chance this winter if I remember to put fencing around them.

o
RE: 2011 What worked in your garden and what didnt work

This perennial does great for me each year. Gets about 6 hrs of sun and afternoon shade .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here