Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Snappy the Snapping Turtle

chescobob
17 years ago

I was walking my dog--miniature poodle--within the past hour when he sniffed something under the car. Normally, I pull him back when I see him sniffing.

This time, he stepped back while he was looking and I put him in the house so I could investigate. I got on my hands and knees and had a look under the car. The first thing I saw was the shell but this shell had a long tail with little horns attached to it. Then I noticed this was a reptile with an undersized shell--too much turtle for the shell.

I got the garden hose and gave it a good hosing at the tail to move it along. That did not bother it at all. After a good hosing, it wasn't moving so I went back in the house. I went out 20 minutes later and he was no where in sight. I've seen these nasty guys move quickly in the water but I don't know where he could have gone in about 20 minutes.

The creek where he probably came from is a few hundred feet away down a hill. Has anyone and idea where these snappers might hide out in a garden just in case he is laying low to pay me back for that hosing I gave him.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?