Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snappy the Snapping Turtle

Posted by chescobob z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 19:26

I was walking my dog--miniature poodle--within the past hour when he sniffed something under the car. Normally, I pull him back when I see him sniffing.

This time, he stepped back while he was looking and I put him in the house so I could investigate. I got on my hands and knees and had a look under the car. The first thing I saw was the shell but this shell had a long tail with little horns attached to it. Then I noticed this was a reptile with an undersized shell--too much turtle for the shell.

I got the garden hose and gave it a good hosing at the tail to move it along. That did not bother it at all. After a good hosing, it wasn't moving so I went back in the house. I went out 20 minutes later and he was no where in sight. I've seen these nasty guys move quickly in the water but I don't know where he could have gone in about 20 minutes.

The creek where he probably came from is a few hundred feet away down a hill. Has anyone and idea where these snappers might hide out in a garden just in case he is laying low to pay me back for that hosing I gave him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snappy the Snapping Turtle

They generally don't stay out of water for long. You often see them in June or so when females may wander far from water for nesting. They also may travel in the autumn and Spring....their winter hibernation area may be a different location than theri summer grounds. He/she may be heading for another location.
For such a small brain, turtles are great at remembering areas and traveling the same routes year after year.

o

Snappers are fast on land, too. I stopped to move a baby one out of the road once, and it had incredibly long legs. The durn thing looked like it could run.

o

I was outside most of the day and no snapper anywhere. Just as long as Mr. or Ms. Snapper has reached its destination far from here, I'm happy.

o

Be careful with those things they are not friendly turtles.

o

I had a cool turtle experience over the weekend. I was on our pond in the pedal boat, reading a book and drifting, when a small painted turtle swam right past the boat very slowly, completely unaware of me. I even heard its shell tapping gently against the hull a few times. I love observing wildlife up close like that.

o

I like turtles (not snappers though). Here are some photos of the painted fellows. I was surprised that the common box turtles can live for around 100 years. At least, that is what I heard on one of the nature channels.

http://www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/eastern_painted_turtle.htm

I had some nice wildlife visitors this year. I saw my first two mink this year in the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here