Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Fall 2007 NEPa plant swap

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
16 years ago

OK I'm committed. All my Sundays in September are free so we just have to settle on a single date.

The 9th is probably too short notice, but how about either the 16th or the 23rd? (or are these too short notice too?)

The usual gig (we are such pros now thanks to Mischelle and Gerry!)- plants, food and a brief garden tour. There's a good chance that the house will be up for sale in the not so distant future, so I'll keep the shovel on hand throughout the day.....

Also it sounds like Gerry will be more generous than usual with his roses- sounds like he's clearing new planting areas!

SO let's pick a date:

-By the way, I'm in Dupont, halfway between Scranton and Wilkes Barre- easy to get to off 81 and right near the Scrant-Wilkes airport in case anyone is coming in from further away.

Comments (14)

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

Well, well....I guess you will make this one!

Either the 16th or 23rd for me, although 16th is a bit better.

I guess I should come up with a list of roses that need to go, so I can bring em along, if anyone is interested that is.

So Frank, just where are you planning to move to? I have had a similiar idea bouncing around in my brain also.

Gerry

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

Either of those is good for me. I'll probably just come for the company - and I will bring some pie and my camera. I've really got nothing, unless someone wants some sedum, Autumn Joy (? that turns pink, right?) I've done squat in the yard this year. Regardless of what Tom Clark says, I think our summer has been dry (with more rain in the last few weeks). My flowers got crispy.

Where are you thinking of moving to, Gerry, if you don't mind saying?

Jeanne

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, not even two days and the first snag has been hit. See why I never made it to the spring swap?

I can't do the 16th.... Cirque de Solei is in town and apparently we have tickets for an afternoon show.

How about either Sat the 15th or Sunday the 23rd?

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

15th is still ok, for me. If things don't work out, I might, might be able to do it here. I think I have ALOT of things I need to get rid of.

Jeanne, IF I am moving and where changes in my mind minute to minute...right now it looks like a real possibility, but who knows. Not sure where I will go, as this is where I have always wanted to be. It's been a bad, bad year...grrr

Gerry

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

Either is good for me.
    Hope everyone can make it!

Jeanne

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

Unless work bites me in the back end, again, I hope to attend either on the 15th or the 23rd. I have a Heritage River Birch, and a couple of Hardy Hibiscus that I can trade.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gerry, that stinks that you're still having a bad year. I was hoping it had cleared up by now.
    As far as moving goes, I'm kind of lucky in that we are just moving a couple blocks into my wife's grandmother's house. I'm not the one who wants to move so my big condition has been that we don't do anything until next summer -especially since this has been sprung on me within the last 2 weeks and came out of nowhere!

I like the sound of a heritage birch- I've wanted one for years and it might look good in the new yard! (which is a blank canvas of lawn with a few lollypop and meatball bushes along the front of the house.)

I've got a few older named daylilies, some ornamental grasses, various hostas, phlox galore, iris, groundcovers, sedums, curly willow, foxgloves here and there, forget me nots, hellebores, boxwood, honeysuckles, red jap maple seedlings (tiny tiny tiny) and some tropicals that need winter homes.... (this year I have a half dozen banannas that will soon need digging up plus a bunch of annuals too nice to just let die)

I'm not too worried about trading, I'd give most of my plants away for a smile..... (sorta- I'm still a little selfish with the butterfly bush cuttings that I started this summer, they will be perfect for the new yard and might attract a few bugs into the desolate wasteland of grass that's there now)

• floragal
    16 years ago

Count me in! I NEED to have a yard sale before the season ends, and kind of planned on the 15th, but will move it to the 22nd if we do the swap on that day. The 23rd works OK for me as well.

I'm motivated to do some editing around here. This time of year everything is so overgrown it's hard to tell where the garden ends and wilderness begins. I do know I have a couple of bleeding hearts (pink) that need a home, and lady's mantle, japanese anenome, purple globeflower (campanula), some hyacinth bulbs, and siberian iris and daylilies - colors unknown.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So do you think we can pull it together for the 15th? The loooong range forecast looks so so for next Saturday, but who knows if that will ever pan out.
    So far the group looks small..... did I mention that everyone is welcome? In fact the more new people the better! People who need plants are especially welcome -heh heh heh- that and anyone who has extra spider daylilies and yellow hellebores! I think my garden needs both of these plants.

Mischelle my Jap. anemone died last winter.... it was finally starting to settle in, but I don't think it liked the late fall digging that went on around it.... that and it was really dry going into the winter.

I'll fire up the grill and have burgers, buns, dogs and whatever else. I've also got all the napkins and cups and utensils. I'm just counting on more creative people for tasty sides!

I'm excited now. I hope everyone can make it and I hope there are a few things worth looking at in the garden. At least you will get to see the coleus and sweet potato jungle that is taking over my tiny front yard!
    Frank

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

So, are we on for Saturday?

Jeanne

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sent out an email to the people who responded so let me know if it didn't come through. I'm ready here so come on over!!!

I'm thinking around one o'clock on the 15th, I put the rest of the info in the email.
    Frank

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

I am just home from work and going to nap...going under the assumption that I actually wake up in time, I will be there. See you all soon, I hope!

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

Hey guys, How did it go?

I just woke up about 5:30, amazing how easy it is to ignore the alarm clock even when you do want to do something :-(

I hope the rains let up by time you guys had the gathering, and that Jeanne got lots of pictures. Frank, I will have to stop up and chcck out the banana tree before it is to late.

Gerry

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gerry- Sometimes a good sleep is the best thing for you, especially when shift work has totally screwed up your nighttime daytime rhythm. We missed you though!

It did clear up nicely but stayed on the cool side for the afternoon..... good digging weather but no one would bite! so I have just as many plants as I started the day with.... what kind of plant swap host am I?

I'm looking forward to a spring swap already!
    Gerry you're welcome to stop in any time.
    Frank

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals