Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Anyone on this forum in Adams County?

We just bought a place in the country north of Gettysburg (in north Adams) and I'm trying to learn about where to go for plants and what grows.

Comments (8)

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Adams County here, Littlestown. Welcome. Would love to chat with you on-line, phone, in person. Email through GW. I have a small sheep farm (lots of organic matter if you need it)and shareable gardens.
    spiderwoman

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

I am from Adams county close to Gettysburg too.Im off rt#94 North.Over here country market nurseies and achcombes.I love both.Email me Ill give you directions.Help in anything else in area.Gettysburg has alot to offer...

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Spiderwoman and Bulldinkie,

Thanks for responding to my post. I was wondering whether to send you each an individual e-mail but figured I would post on the main forum first.

The place that we bought is in Aspers right near the orchard areas and is a farmhouse with need of major TLC. We are trying to get the plumbing to work properly at the moment in the bathrooms. Incredible amounts of water damage!

Once we have either external spigots to attach a hose to (None! Can you imagine???) or a second well dug, I plan on putting in both a farm garden and flower gardens in spots. We'd also like to fix up a shed and have some chickens again. I note one of you had standard cochins--nice birds. I also like the mini cochins and silkies for setting purposes.

We also have a huge "barn"--sort of a one story affair with a roof over the old bank barn that burned years ago--but it isn't ready for anything except clean out.

We have what used to be a meadow, but is overgrown with trees and needs clearing. Much work ahead in other words.

What on-line resources do you use where people advertise their goods and services? What do you like/dislike about Adams County and Gettysburg?

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

You are right up the road from us.Our one emplyee lives in Aspers.I like where we are because were on border of 2 townships.Were out in country.We have old farmhouse.In middle of 40 acres.We raise texas Longhorn cattle we like to say Pa longhorns,tennessee walkers.mini donkeys,swans.I love it in country were pretty close to all shopping not that I do much but if we need anything basically any direction you go you can get what you want.In Dillsburg off of 15 theres Ashcombes up the road about 3 miles is country market.Gettysburg outlets is nice daughter and I did some Christmas shopping there last week.I think youll like it here.

• Four_Seasons
    18 years ago

I live in Adams...in Gettysburg near the Boyds Barn. I won't be a lot of help to you, though, since we just moved here in April from Missouri and are renting at the moment so haven't done much more than just "observe."

I am amazed at the love of gardening I see here in PA, though....In Missouri I did a lot of gardening at our place there -- flowers and vegies -- and miss the fun. One of these days we hope to find a place in the country where our big old dog can run and roam...and then I'll be back at it full force.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading of your progress and the advice you get along the way....

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Hi, I forgot to check back on the post and didn't realize that you had responded. Sorry.
    There is at least one other Adams Co gal on here--Annie Herb I think is how she posts. She owns a nice little garden center here in L'town--Alloway Creek Gardens, lots of herbs, perennials and natives. They also have organic beef and milk goats along with a few of my cochins.
    Bulldinkie, funny that your only employee lives in Aspers. My only employee lives in Aspers too! It is about 20 miles from me.
    If you have fences around those fields, sheep are great for clearing them. I had a similar situation here and used a combination of sheep goats and llamas to clear the pastures. The house is another matter all together!!
    Would love to get together with you and the other posters.
    Hey are you the friend of Arbor Bluff Girl who was moving into this area? If so, she wants to send you down to my place to dig goldenseal and ship it to her.
    spiderwoman

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

spiderwoman ,no one of employess lives in Aspers We have about 25 employees.Werent you talking of moving to be with your kids?

• walterva
    17 years ago

My wife and I are purchasing a small farmette in Gettysburg. We are looking for ideas on how to work a small farm. We have a large bank barn, seasonal stream, 15 acres of field. Any ideas? Any college outreach programs? Farm agents? County farming programs?

Sponsored