Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you bring in your tropicals?

Posted by butterfly4u 6 SE PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 22:40

Hi all,
I still have my tropical hibiscus and gardenias outside from the summer.
Should I bring them in soon?
It's been getting cooler at night this week.
It just seems so early, or mabey the summer has flown by so fast, but when would you bring them in?
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you bring in your tropicals?

I usually bring mine in by mid October. Just watch for a frost warning and get them covered if you can. A lot of tropicals can take some pretty cool weather. I don't know where you are located but the mountain areas and further west get cooler much sooner than the Southeast. I'm in Philly near Bucks County so it stays warmer a tad bit longer. I try to stretch the summer as long as I can!!

o

Yep - all my orchids are still growing happily outside. I will bring them in if it is going below 45 at night, but otherwise they stay out.

Alexa

o

I myself find it never hurts to acclimate my tropicals to thier indoor environment a little early. I plan to bring mine in next week. I'd do it now but the rains have brought some nice warm air in. My pams and palmettos seem to hold 50% more fronds through winter if I bring them in before the end of september.

o
caladiums and elephant ears

Well it looks like it is going to get cold this weekend. I would like to store my caladiums for next year. I do not have space indoors to keep them in pots. When do I dig them up? do I cut off the leaves, and stems? How do I store them. Also can water hyacinth be kept indoors in a terrarium or fish bowl for the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here