Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to start pansies and violas in cold frame?

Posted by beachlakegrower 5b PA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 0:48

I'm interested in adding growing of flowers to a schoolyard, raised-bed, vegetable gardening project. Would like to grow violas and pansies in raised beds in the garden. However, I'm not experienced in growing members of this family of flowers.

Looking for info re: if I convert one of the raised beds into a cold frame, are there cold-hardy varieties that can be sown directly into cold frame soil in late winter/early spring? Or do we need to start the plants indoors, under grow lights and then transplant out?

This would be in NE PA in zone 5B. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to start pansies and violas in cold frame?

you may have better luck starting under flour. lights in you basement. Then as the temps outside start to warm up move to cold frame.
I would suggest to google germinate pansies and see what temps are requires to start them.

o
RE: Possible to start pansies and violas in cold frame?

I've wintersow pansies with great success. They had a very good germination rate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here