jbest123_gw

Nobody Gardening in Pennsylvania ????

jbest123
16 years ago

Is anybody in here ...here ....here .....here ......here

Comments (8)

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

Well, I should be gardening, but I didn't.

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

Gardening here! I just forget to check the PA forum regularly. Just back from the Berks Master Gardener 25th Anniversary meeting this evening.

Wow - found out yesterday that we may be moving this winter. Still in the area, but to a different house. I thought we would not move until next summer or fall. I am suddenly in Emergency-Rush-Transplanting-Mode. We rent, so if I leave, I can only take what I can get now. I can move bulbs and perennials to my mother's garden - but I would have started much sooner if I had known. This late warm weather may save some of my plants.

• chescobob
    16 years ago

Well, yesterday I just finished planting 255 bulbs. 135 crocuses, 70 daffodils, and 50 tulips. Now, if I only survive Winter.

This year, I built my final three gardens, and started planting with 15 bearded irises. It looks like the roots took so they will be out next Spring. I planted some other perennials but, for the most part, I built beds for next year's planting of perennials. I also had a stamped concrete patio put in under the deck--mud problems before--and have steps leading to the driveway. On each side of the steps are more gardens waiting to be planted next Spring.

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

I'm here, after having been away from this board for awhile. I've been busy starting up my graphic design business. No more long corporate days for me, with lots of time to surf.

Not much gardening going on here. The drought has been discouraging, I've switched into keep-the-trees-alive mode. And I'm chopping all of the perennials down to the ground. My garden is 7 years old, and suddenly everything looked too big. The house was engulfed by vegetation. Hopefully a drastic garden-wide chop will result in lots of fresh new growth on mature root systems next year.

• nick_17815_pa
    16 years ago

I'm about to pop some of my tenders out of the ground and back into pots any day now. I still have some fall bulbs to plant too. I have three beds I should be weeding, but I'm just happy everything seemed to take root. I moved to a new house in June.

• PRO
    The Metal Peddler
    16 years ago

I've just finished a new sloped bed between a new retaining wall & the steps to the house. I've planted a row of lavender along the steps, helleborous and winter mums for some winter color, leadwort & phlox to trail over the wall. Oh and some ground cover sedum to spread between everything.

Am currently looking for a dwarf buddleia for by the front door and a shade tolerant evergreen & pretty climber for the edge of the house.

• new2pa
    16 years ago

We are moving to the Hanover area in 2 weeks...I'm used to gardening in the Bay area of San Francisco and would appreciate any suggestions as to what I can and can't grow in Pa. When is too late to plant bulbs? It would be nice to see some next Spring in my new home! I definitely plan to GARDEN in Pa!

• jbest123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome to PA. You can plant bulbs untill the soil freezes. As to what you can and can't grow in PA, I wouldn't know where to start. The garden centers in this ares usually stock plants that will survive in this zone but I would check the tags first.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction