Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
witsend22

Abundance of rain

witsend22
18 years ago

I sure hope this rain we are getting now does not go the other way after a summer of drought and and water restrictions here. We have 5 days in a row forcast but so far it has been a good steady rain with no gully washing drenchings that require a new landscaping effort afterward.

I was Able to get most of my gladiola bulbs out of the ground before the rain started. It is a little early but there are so many and the body has hurt so lately. This rain will help when the time comes to dig the dahlias. I was worried about getting them out without a lot of damage in this dry parched soil. I lost many to rot last winter and am hoping to be able to divide some this year.

Comments (8)

• chescobob
    18 years ago

After little or no rain this Summer, we've had 24 hours of downpour. Its now somewhere above 5 inches of rain with another 2 inches or so possible today. C'mon lucky 7.

I worked all week pulling weeds, wetting the grass and ground, putting down new soil on top of the wet ground, raking the new soil out over the grass, planting about 20 pounds of grass seed on the new soil, placing a covering of new soil over the seed, and then wetting the covering of soil again.

Well, I'm pretty much down to the original soil now. The new soil I placed on the ground and 20 pounds of grass seed is somewhere between the areas I worked and the Chesepeake Bay.

An added feature of our deluge is that we will get some sort of rain for the next week. The new soil that is left on my driveway won't dry out for some time and I won't be able to spread it and start over for awhile. Oh well, the joys of a new home.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

Here's the collection so far, as of 3:00 pm today. I'll have to empty it and keep the count !!

{{gwi:1111761}}

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chescobob so sorry to see all that work washed away. We all work so hard and put in so much time in our yards. I guess we were luck here, we got plenty of rain but it was long and steady. I haven't had much time to look but what i've seen so far looks good out there.

I'm going to try to get some of the dahlias dug out today before it starts to rain again but while the ground is still soaked. I don't have many left but it looks pretty grey out there already so the race is on.

Paula I don't have a rain guage set out but I left a large 2 foot by 3 foot tray that is 5 inches deep in the middle of the yard and it is about full this morning so id say we received somewhere around 4-5 inches here

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Sometimes, Nature gives you a gift. I am sitting in my home office and there is some type of songbird singing its lungs out just outside the window behind me.

I'm not giving up on the grass planting but we are supposed to get another 2 inches of rain in the next couple of days.

My rose bushes were damaged also. Fragrant Plum, Toulouse Lautrec, and The McCartney Rose seem to have taken some damage.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we will get much sun this week.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I got at least 6" out of it. I say at least, since when I got out to check the gauge on Saturday afternoon, it had overflowed, and it tops out at 6". Haven't had noticable since then though although they are predicting some action through Wednesday. We sure did need it.

George

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

My final tally was 5-3/4". Thankfully, it didn't all come in 3 hours! Since the region was in a drought, most of it soaked in, and the runoff was more nuisance than bad flood. Hopefully, additional rain to come will be sloooooowww.

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

Saturday we had 7.78" of rain. That set a record in my town for highest ever recorded rainfall here in a single day. For the weekend the total was around 9". It rained all night last night and I woke up to rain this morning. The apples that fell from the neighbors tree were literally floating down the road. We really needed the moisture though. The creeks were down to a trickle.

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The ground was so dry here that even with all this rain, the creek levels and the river level are still right about where they were. There is a slight diference in the Juniata but most of the rain seems to have just soaked right in.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!