Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mombo_gw

Spectacular weather!!!

mombo
16 years ago

Not much activity on this site lately. I can only hope that everyone is enjoying this extended spell of wonderful weather. I think it has been nicer than some summer days. Every day I go into the garden and pick fresh flowers for the table. Usually I hate to cut them but knowing a frost is just around the corner I have been really getting into it. Roses, daisies, sweet peas(one of my new favorites because of all the colors and the fragrance), straw flowers, petunias, snap dragons, cosmos, moss rose and many more including perennials like chelone, asters and mums are all so pretty right now. They are so cheerful in the house. This time of year I get a bit down knowing winter is on the way but the memories of these flowers will remain. Happy Fall to everyone!

Comments (10)

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

It has been glorious.

I haven't had much luck with sweet peas. They won't germinate for me for some reason.

My dahlias are spectacular though. And the geranium Rozanne. What a great plant!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    16 years ago

OK-I'm the differing voice. Sure I have plenty of nice flowers and the vegetables are still coming, but for crimineys sake--it's AUTUMN! I want the change of seasons to be notable not an endless summer. Otherwise I'd live in the south and last I heard PA was a northern state!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

i'm still picking tomatoes and peppers and my dahlias this year are just fantastic. i would like to see a little rain, though.

i was just wondering what our winter is going to be like, considering it's still summer.

i'm going to enjoy it all i can - i do love winter and the colder weather, but i know those days are coming where it will just be unbearable to be outside, so i'm going to suck up as much of this as mother nature can provide.

mombo, where abouts in the pocono's are you?

maryanne

• mombo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryanne
    I live in Blakeslee with my husband and 2 cats. Looks like this will be the end of the warm spell this week. We get plenty of Winter here so this has been a fun extended garden time for us. The 4 seasons are not divided so equally here. We get much more cold than warm in this area so that is why I'm enjoying the spell of warmth.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

We are enjoying the late summer as well, but I'm ready for it to cool down a bit. . . except that one of my brugmansias is (finally) budding out! Still picking tomatoes as well! And at the price it took to fill our oil tank for winter I guess I should be thrilled that we don't yet have to run the heat!

• gardenguy_
    16 years ago

The weather had been nice for so long. It's hard for me to complain. I woke up this morning and we got a frost... : (
    How depressing. Now, lets get ready for cold CHILLS and dead brown scenery for at least another 5 months. I was hoping that the frosty stuff would hold out till at least mid January till the end of February. No such luck.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

mombo, i spend quite a bit of time up there - kind of like a second home - indian mountain lakes.

i'm still loving the weather - a bit of a chill in the air and of course a taste of what's to come, but it's not too awful yet. my neighbors had their fireplace burning the last few days. if i was upstate, i would as well - don't have one here .

maryanne

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Argh, I think the weather has been TERRIBLE. We're desperate for rain down here in Bucks. And now I hear we're in for a few 80 degree days, just about the last thing the trees need. I'm ready to do a rain dance. We didn't get any nice soaking hurricane remnants this year. The water level in the pond is down by about two feet.

I like rain.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

It really has been too warm for Oct----We just had a tomato sandwich-----seems more like summer.

Carol ---I too love the rain----we did have some last night but we sure need a lot more.

Florence

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Okay, NOW it's spectacular weather... I think we've had six inches of rain over the past few days. That amount sounds high, but a bucket I left out was more than half full of rainwater. It looks like spring out there, everything is greening up.