Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune knockout roses in fall

Posted by fitzgalehouse none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 9:34

Is it ok to prune knockout roses now in oct? And how far back? Currently 3-4 feet tall and wide. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune knockout roses in fall

Late winter or early spring is a great time . October may not be too bad. I may wait until the temps are consistently cold.
You could prune to 1/2 the size and have no problems.

Enjoy, Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Ideas

o

I would wait until they go dormant. I usually like to wait until early march when new buds start to appear. You can whack them back to a foot.. That will keep them compact to about 3 feet by the end of the year... 18" will get you 4 feet. They will bloom every six weeks from may-November.. You can take off 6" after each bloom cycle and they will pop even better... 6-8" is about the extent of "pruning" from April- dec. hard pruning is best jan-march.

o

I prune mine late Feb-early March. This year I slaughtered my pink one-- to like 8' inches off the ground. It rebounded joyfully to 3 or 4 feet. There is an amusing You Tube video of a well-heeled gentleman showing how to cut your Knock Out back. Note the bottle of beer in his wheelbarrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here