Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mums and Asters

Posted by KathieO z5PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 9:41

When is a good time to transplant mums. I have two extremely large ones that need a new home. They are along a sidewalk which is going to be replaced this month and I have a new spot waiting for them. They are still blooming however, and I'm assuming they loved all the water I've had to give my perennial beds this summer. But they are now too large for the space. Now or spring?

Asters.....I love the beautiful colors of asters but all the ones I have either are rabbit food or get too tall and bare legged. I've pinched them back before July 4th but they still get too tall. Is there a way to keep them short without them getting "bare-legs". another feature I dislike.

How do the growers get their potted mums and asters so round and beautiful? Is this possible in a garden? Can you shear them back in a rounded shape prior to their setting buds?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mums and Asters

I keep my asters pinched back to 4 inches at first then to 6 inches and I keep piching until the second week of july rather than the 4th of July. Transplanting now may be fine if you take care to take a large dirt ball with the root mass disturbing the roots as little as possible so the plant won't have to work as hard to repair damaged roots. You can also help ease the transplant by preping the hole by loosening the area well around the transplant making it easier for roots to expand into the surounding area. once the plant has died back mulch it well for the winter.

o
RE: Mums and Asters

I don't think you are supposed to transplant perennial mums in the fall - you just might kill the whole lot. The root mass will come up very easily in the spring and even the smallest divisions will flower by Autumn.

You might consider pruning your asters more than two times -by 75% in early June, and again in late June, and again in mid July, cutting them way back every time. The ones I did this with this summer eventually reached about three feet tall and are very bushy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here