Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised beds in NW PA

Posted by scrappyjack (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 11:03

I live in NW Pa (Forest Co.) and am thinking of making a garden of raised beds. One will be herbs, one for a kitchen or salad garden, and one for flowers. Any suggestions for depth/dimensions, types of plants that will work/not work, whatever you can suggest will be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised beds in NW PA

My brother gardens in Newark NJ (yes, Newark!) and created Extreme Raised Beds this year. The sides of the beds are at least three feet high, made of wood. He and his wife are both tall and this year they didn't have to bend over at all to harvest. The veggies are practically at eye level. I've heard they had an excellent carrot crop.

o

That sounds like an excellent idea! Who likes to bend? Of course the carrots would be nice too, all of that ground to grow through. My carrots this year were way too small, too much dry then too much rain. We also have such clay-ey soil.
Thanks for the tip! :)
Jackie

o

He must have used some sort of filler at the bottom of the beds. I can't imagine filling them three feet deep with topsoil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here