Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Box of bulbs arrived in the mail

Posted by Pipersville_Carol z6 Bucks PA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 14:58

A nice happy heavy box of bulbs awaited me when I got home from work last night. I went to a display garden in New Hope PA this past spring, and when I realized they actually SOLD bulbs in addition to displaying them, I just had to make a purchase.

The bulbs are about 30 very-dark-purple hyacinths (almost black, with a beautiful fragrance). white muscari, and orange-tipped daffs (an impulse buy, details are hazy). They'll be mingled in two large clumps right by the front door, to fill the front yard with early-spring scent.

I was planning to weed this weekend, but bulb-planting is much more fun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Box of bulbs arrived in the mail

Oh yes, bulb planting is way more fun! Weeding can wait. I bought some "Magic" lily bulbs I need to get in the ground. Someone came into work selling them at a really great price...so I had to buy several! Yep, I know all about that impulse buying thing. Which is how I ended up with 2 different orders for seeds totaling 30+ dollars each. Who buys seeds in October? Me, I guess! I just tell people I have a sickness ...gardenopia or plantisytis...beware, it's very contagious!

Happy planting!
Gillian

o

you could always just pull a weed and stick a bulb into the hole. This applies unless you are here in my yard where you would run out of bulbs long before you run out of weeds.

o

Alas, I didn't get around to planting the bulbs. I spent my free time this weekend walking around the property, admiring the wind and the leaves and the sky... very useless and wasteful activities for a gardener!! I'm guilty of sloth.

o

Ah, but Fall is meant to be enjoyed in just that way. There will be other days to plant your bulbs...days when all the leaves are off and it looks bleak and bare out. If I had the freedom this weekend I may have done the very same thing. That's not a useless activity to a gardener - it's contemplating the possibilities for next year!

~Gillian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here