Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This weekend: straightening up a 15' tall tulip poplar

Posted by pipersville_carol z6 Bucks PA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 15:30

One of our trees, a youngish tulip poplar, got blown over slightly in that big August windstorm. Recently it has started tipping even more, so I've gotta try and fix it this weekend. It's at least 10 degrees out of plumb. I tried straightening it by hand, but it wouldn't budge (the trunk is at least an 8" caliper).

The plan is to use our farm tractor pull it upright, once I've dug out around the root ball a bit. If that works, we'll stake it thoroughly and hope for the best.

Should be an adventure, wish me luck!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This weekend: straightening up a 15' tall tulip poplar

Wow! Let us know how it goes.

o

what a job you have ahead of you, carol. especially in this weather. i'll be sending good thoughts your way. best of luck!

maryanne

o

Got it done, just before the crazy wind started. I attached it to the front end loader of our farm tractor with a big heavy chain, using a rubber car floor-mat to protect the bark. My husband carefully backed the tractor up while I dug around the roots with a shovel. We had to pop the roots out of the ground to get the trunk upright, I hope the tree survives. Afterwards we staked it with four 6-ft-tall metal fence posts. It didn't blow over in the high winds, so I guess the staking is sufficient.

My husband was very grumpy about spending a Saturday morning doing that. We're both ready to hibernate for the winter.

o

glad to hear it all went well carol. good to know you conquered your task before sunday because those winds were quite forceful!

maryanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here