Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting bare root peonies

Posted by thorne715 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 07 at 17:48

i just got a large shipment of paeonia x. peonies and i don't want to plant them now becuase i have to move. What would be some of the options for me? Can they be planted indoors or will they last until next planting season? HELP!
I am a fairly new gardener so I don't want to screw this up. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting bare root peonies

Get some dirt and moisture on those roots right away, peony roots are tender. Planting them in pots sounds like a good option. Use light well-draining soil, and leave the pots outside all winter long, in a relatively warm spot that isn't too sunny. Water them during warm spells but make sure they don't get water-logged. They should be fine. Good luck with your move!

o

If it were me I might also plant the pots in the ground to help give them a constant temperature and keep them a bit warmer (the wind chill will be a lot colder for them than the ground temp) When you're ready to move just pull up the pots, if you have to move during winter you may have to put something to let you lift it out easier when the ground is frozen

o

One year I thined my peonies and had so many roots I could't give them all away. I threw them on top of my compost pikle and they all sprouted in the spring. John

o

Mine finally have a permanent home after a lot of moves and finally making it to my new house. I sure hope they spread like yours must have John. I put them at the end of the bed so I can add-on and have a mass planting of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here