Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Wedding

Posted by scrappyjack (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 18:38

We just had a fall wedding for my brother this weekend. The decor was beautiful. His bride wanted to use as much natual decor as we could so to decorate the hall we used stuff from the garden and woods. On the porch were a haybale pyrimid with a corn shock behind it. On the bales were pumpkins and "indian" corn and japanese lanterns. On the porch posts, we had bunches of pampas grass with a spray of twigs that had small round yellow fruits, and some fence rose hips.
In the social hall there were pumpkins, gourds, mums, japanese lanterns, white candles in clear dishes with colored leaves and acorns. It was all just sweet. There were also carved out pumpkins used for flower vases and whatever flowers survived the frost. Some marigolds,sedum, and cosmos.
It was fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Wedding

that sounds wonderful, scrappy.. i'm all for using nature without the ungodly expense people go to. did you take any pictures that you could share? i would really be interested in seeing the porch.

years ago i attended a wedding where all the decoration was whole fruit, even on the wedding cake. it really was exceptional. i'll never look at blueberries the same way!

maryanne

o

Maryanne: I'll post pics as soon as I get them.

It WAS wonderful in its own simplicity. The expense for this wedding was truly minimal. I have 4 sisters, and 2 brothers that we did weddings for and we've learned that simple becomes elegant. My younger sister had lavendar as the color of her wedding in May. With white peonies and mock orange (from the old homestead)as the only decor in the social hall and the tables set in lavendar and white... LOVELY!!!! And the smell....you woundn't believe!
No...we dont believe in wasteful extravagance. Simple IS better.

o

Ah, a fall wedding.

I was married on Oct 12th ten years ago, in our small garden in Frenchtown. The Cleome, Miscanthus, and Bridal Bower Clematis were in full bloom. I think the New Dawn rose even had some rebloom at the time.

o

Yes, please post pictures. I am a wedding planner and am always trying to convince brides that simple and low cost does NOT equate with cheap or chintzy. I am working with a bride right now who is insisting that she use exotic, out of season flowers she saw in a magazine photo. The florist and I are trying to convince her there are more plentiful in-season flowers that will give her the same impact she wants, and be kinder to her (well actually, her mom's) pocketbook. So please post pictures that I can put in my arsenal!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here