Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scree and rock gardens

Posted by countrygardengal kunkletown,pa (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 7, 06 at 9:18

hello all: new to the garden web, wonder if anyone had any experience withh a scree garden, i am considering adding two scree gardens to my rock garden,i have anidea on how to start them but don't know what plants would do well and what type of gravel would work for good drainage,something that would do well with a clay soil bottom any ideas would be helpful.

cindilynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scree and rock gardens

Hmm, I've never heard of a scree garden, am interested to hear what people say about this. Is it a desert-type garden?

o
RE: scree and rock gardens

carol, a scree garden is basically an area of gravel, rocks, or pebbles where plants that don't require a lot of water can grow. usually a difficult area or where water or run off water (rain) doesn't really reach.

cindilynn - try some creeping thymes, sedums, hens and chicks would be an excellent addition, dwarf bushes/shrubs, trilliums, any rock or alpine type plant, dutchman breech, maybe some anemone.

as for the gravel - river rock or pea gravel would be good. when you are planting, if you purchase plants, just take them out of their respective containers, push aside the gravel/pebbles/rock and place them in that hole bringing the rocks. you might want to dig out a bit of soil before you lay the rocks, add a layer or so of sand and then maybe some peat moss, and then your gravel/rock.

how big is the area you are working on?

best of luck on your project.

maryanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here