Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrizia007

I'm Sick, Went to Walmart...

Patriz
16 years ago

I literally got sick after going to my local Walmart the other day and seeing that they moved all of the houseplants and indoor hanging baskets OUTSIDE in the cold! Don't these managers have a clue about keeping plants alive? It's one thing when their plants die during summer, but to place cacti outside in bags where the water pools inside the wrapper is criminal, IMHO. The garden looked like a disaster with live plants in desperate need of water. They had dead plants mixed in with some decent ones. How do these people get to run corporate stores when they can't even merchandise their live goods properly? I think Walmart should just leave the plant growing business and make us all feel better. Ok, I'm done venting...thanks :)

Comments (8)

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

One good thing: corporate headquarters will look at the losses in the department and refuse to order as many plants next time.

• paveggie
    16 years ago

Talk with the store manager. He/she may not have been aware.

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

They only pay the vendors for plants that get scanned and sold. If the plants die, the vendor loses, not walmart.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

di - i have complained at the walmart on the boulevard in the whitman plaza and they look at me as if i have three heads and eight eyes. they don't hire people that care about plants - they just hire people to stock the shelves and ring you up. it's a terrible site no matter what the season. they won't stop ordering plants - it's not their loss. as a consumer, i make a conscious choice not to purchase plants from them.

maryanne

• User
    16 years ago

Went to the Walmart today.
    Yep, all the houseplants were outside.
    COuldn't believe my eyes.
    I think they just want them to die now so they have more room for all the Christmas junk.
    I have to admit though, I did purchase 2 really nice rose bushes in the spring. Gorgeous and cheap!
    Still, poor plants!
    They ought to get a citation from the "plant police".
    After all, they are living things. Or were living that is.
    I'm not shopping for plants there any more either.
    So there.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

I was so disgusted with them, and most of the big box stores, this summer that I decided not to support any of them any longer. Our Walmart had hostas, ferns and a host of shade loving plants languishing on the hot tarred parking lot just begging for a drink. Even the sun lovers were in sad, sad shape. How wasteful.

• feighner
    16 years ago

A few years ago I worked at a chain store wit an inside and outside nursery and they received a very large order of indoor plants (this was December) and told metofind a placeoutside for them. I told my deptment manager that it was too cold for the plants and that they would die in only a few days.I was told again to put them outside.I then went to the store manager and stated that it was too cold for the plants outside and was agian told to put them outside. Well a long story short, the plants were put outside and in three days they were all dead, retail value of about $15,000. Sometimes those in charge do not care.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

Waste like that sickens me, especially since we know that losses like that end up passed on to the consumers. Someone's head should've rolled for that.

Sponsored