Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing Hydrangeas Inside

Posted by vlf4230 z6 Pa (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 12:01

While at Home Depot picking up some items I saw that they had some Everlasting Hydrangeas at 50% off. The 2 I picked up were in good shape and I noticed later on that they had some new leaves forming.

I was going to put them in the ground now but I'm a bit afraid to do so if they have some new growth.

I then thought about just bringing them inside and leaving them in the unheated garage all winter long.

However...

Do I really need to let these go dormant? Since they bloom on new and old growth could I just bring them inside the house, somewhere with some light, and let them stay "awake"?

If I do put them in the garage do I need to water them?

Thanks,

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing Hydrangeas Inside

jim, if it was me, i would just plant them. i've never overwintered them the way you are suggesting. the gorunds not frozen yet, so you still have time to get them in. best of luck!

maryanne

o

They'll be happier in the ground.

If you leave them in the garage in pots, they'll dry out really quickly and go through many freeze/thaw cycles. Temperatures and moisture levels are more stable in the ground.

o

Thanks Maryanne, Thanks Carol,

Now I just need to figure out where I want to plant them...

Thank again,

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here