Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Cardiocrinum giganteum seed available

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hello fellow PA gardeners,

I posted this in a few places, but I'll do it here as well. One of my Cardiocrinum giganteum bloomed and set seed this year. I do not want the seed and will send them out to anyone interested for a SASE. You can see additional details and a pic of the flowers in my post on the plant exchange. I understnad from a post on the bulb forum that these seed should be dealt with quickly so I'm hoping to send them out by this weekend. Please e-mail me if you would like to try this phenominal plant from seed :o) Dan

Comments (5)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I think I would like to give it a try. I know it says zone 7, but you are zone 6, so it might work out.

Please e-mail me!

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Well nuts! I just sent you an email about getting the seed but didn't realize it was for zone 7. Since I am in z5 it might not be worth sending me. I did look it up and seems like a really cool plant. Wish I lived just a wee bit South!

~Gillian

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wolfe, Sorry, but I did not check back in here....please e-mail me if you want seed.

Gillian, Most people now would claim zone 6 for this beauty. I do not think zone 5 would work, but if you want some seed you can try in pots feel free to e-mail me. The one that I posted a pic of on the exchange page (mistakenly under WANTED) is grown in a very large pot....it flowered :o) Dan

• mymacca
    18 years ago

I am in Levittown and have not had any luck getting seed to germinate.

I have always wanted one of these...since I started gardening 40 years ago, and at this point, I doubt that I would live to SEE the flower even if I could get it started!

Can you tell me where you bought the bulb? Do you bring it in for winter?

I grow brugmansias and elephant ears in large wastebaskets with holes in the sides. In winter, I bring them into the laundry rooom where they will not freeze. the wastebaskets fit nicely into 5 gallon paint/spackle buckets and I keep them fairly dry in winter. Do you think this would work with the cardiocrinum?

Thanks

**Macca**

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Macca, I import mine...contact me privately if you have more interest in this. I get them so that they are 1-2 years from flowering. They are pretty easy to grow if you follow a few simple rules!! I both have them in the ground and in large pots....I mean large.....I've got 3 bulbs in a 20+ inch diameter pot....a mix of potting mix and pine bark.....kept in shade....maybe 2 hrs of morning sun MAX. Keep them moist for the summer.....give them some fertilizer (15-30-15) every week or so to increase bulb size. Watch out for slugs...they will gladly kill your Cardiocrinum just as it is getting growing in the spring!! You do not want them that warm in the winter....they are Himalayan plants that require atleast some modest amount of cold weather.....I put the pot of them in the garage for the winter (40F for a low) and give them a touch of water every now and again with my bonsai...the soil should not be bone dry.....they will dessicate....trust me on that one and please do not ask for the gory details!! I posted a pic of this guy on the exchange page (under Wanted by mistake). I can e-mail you a pic of mine in flower this summer if you would like to see it...very pretty if I do say so myself :o) Dan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH