Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmyt_gw

when to cut back perennial flowers?

emmyt
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm fairly new to gardening and learning some basics.

When do I cut back plants that still have green leaves even though the flowering was in the spring and long gone? In particular phlox and iris? I've already cut back other plants that were obviously brown and spent, like black eyed susans.

For the iris, when can I dig up the bulbs and plant them elsewhere?

I also have some low-growing dianthus that were in the annual area of the nursery where I bought them last year, but surprisingly they grew back very dense this year. Although the flowers are very pretty, I'm not particularly fond of the plants because their leaves turn black after flowering, even when they put out new flowers. They flower all summer, but there is always a mass of ugly black leaves among the flowers all summer. Is that normal for this type of plant? Can I chop these plants back mid summer, when the leaves are blackest, and maybe they would grow back fresher and greener for the remainder of the summer?

And just one more--I have boxwood plants that I would like to completley remove and replant elsewhere. I was advised to wait until spring to do this--or can I do this now? in either case, can I prune them back before digging them up, so that I can see where I'm digging and be able to more easily move them?-they have gotten moderately large. If so, how severely can I cut them?

Thanks much for help on any of these questions.

Comments (7)

• galsal2
    18 years ago

I cut back my iris and yarrow yesterday. I thought you were supposed to divide and move iris in August, but you could try it now. I guess.

None of the dianthus I've had ever got black leaves. I have annuals ones blooming now. I hope they will overwinter, as some I've had before have done so.

Sorry, I don't have boxwood.

Sally

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

I'd leave the Iris and let the leaves die down naturally just as you do with other plants. I don't grow phlox but would treat it the same way. Green leaves meaan photosynthesis is still going on and the leaves are still feeding the plant.

I wouldn't replant the iris until spring. You could lose blooms if you move them before blooming so it's better to move them in August as galsal says, but they can be moved any time during the growing season.

I've never seen the dianthus problem you describe. What kind of dianthus are they? Are you sure they are not browning out because of lack of water?

Boxwood can be moved anytime, however, they need atleast six weeks to establish roots in their new home before the frost. If you don't have six weeks, don't move them until spring. It would have been better to have pruned them earlier but do it now if you are expecting decent weather for a few weeks, i.e., no frost.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

When November rolls around,if I haven't already, I cut back all my perennials and don't care if they have green leaves or not. I've been doing this for over 20 years and it hasn't bothered them.The dianthus you are describing sounds like some of the Telstar varieties which are classified as annuals but are hardy enough to come back. Mine have been coming back now for the past 3 years. I always cut them back mid summer and they will sprout new growth and a new batch of flowers. I love these little plants because they are the first and last thing to bloom in the garden..with the exception of some of the roses.

• emmyt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much for each of your responses.

mWoods, Loretta5: I checked the dianthus tag (I always keep those things) and they are indeed Telstar. We had torrents of rain in the spring and I watered regularly in the dry spells--maybe the black leaves were from too much water? The other plants in the same bed seemed okay. mWoods, have you ever had the black leaf issue? I love the flowers, but the foliage got so ugly. I was actually rather disappointed when they came back this year and they did the same thing. If they come back again next year, I'll try chopping them way down mid summer as suggested.

Loretta5: About the boxwoods, I think frost, or at least freezing temps at night, could come any time in the next few weeks, so I suppose I should leave them alone until spring. If I move them in the spring, do you know if it would it be okay to trim them back at that time, to make them more managable to dig out? I guess I'm wondering, is pruning and transplanting at the same time too many stresses at once?

Again thanks.

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

It should be fine to move and prune the boxwood at the same time.
    Loretta5

• clarysage1717
    18 years ago

I grow iris as a business. Bearded iris need about six weeks before frost, minimum, to put down roots and be well established. Otherwise they may heave during the winter thaws and freezes (PA is especially tough in that regard.) If you transplant bearded iris in spring, the plants will be okay but you'll probably lose that year's flowers. The optimum time for transplanting bearded iris in PA is about four to six weeks after they bloom - I divide and transplant thousands every year, and the goal is to do it between July 4 and Labor Day.

katie

• emmyt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Loretta5 and katie,
    Thanks much for your advise and expertise. Seems now is time (or past time) to mulch everything and put outdoor gardening to rest for the winter.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!