Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Black Vulture

chescobob
17 years ago

I'm still practicing with my camera. So, please bear with me. I'm going to post a bald eagle here---some day. For now, here are a couple of regulars--black vultures.

"Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the branch of the tree

Wastin' time"

{{gwi:1112093}}

Time To Fly

{{gwi:1112094}}

You can easily distinguish the black from the turkey vulture as they fly. Note the white wing tips only on the black.

Comments (10)

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Cool, you can really see his face in that first picture. Kind of eerie.

Have you ever seen them drying their wings in the sunshine?

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are several posts in the pasture at the front of the house. After it rains, its not unusual to see a vulture on each post. A week or two ago turkey vultures were sitting on the posts and they had their wings open to dry out a bit. (I wish I had started playing with the camera then.)

Although the posts are only about 5 feet high, the turkey vultures just dropped off of them, opened their wings, and took flight. I have noticed that the vultures have an easier time landing in the trees than the eagles. They just go in and land. The eagles drop their feet and then flap their wings as they drop hoping their talons come in contact with the branch.

• lucifer53
    17 years ago

If you are looking for a bald eagle,core creek park in bucks county has a large male nesting in the area.It appears that he does not have a mate.
    I seen him at the woodborne road bridge sitting on a post on the north side of the lake then flying directly to me as I was fishing on Oct. 25,2006 at 5:00 P.M.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Nice shot Bob.

I haven't seen a black vulture around here before. Have seen them further south in NC though.

George

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lucifer53:

We have several bald eagles down here--SW tip of Chester County. Last March, I saw 3 in a tree in back of the house. I believe there are more than 4 down here.

geoforce:

Thanks. We have a lot of black vultures down here but there are more turkey vultures.

I was out with my camera today and a red-tailed hawk flew overhead. I couldn't get him in focus though.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

WOW!!!!!! bob, that is a great photo.

thanks so much for keeping that camera handy and sharing.

maryanne

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I put some turkey vulture images on the bird watching forum.

• pinwheel
    17 years ago

A week ago I drove down to Nottingham County Park, and I was surprised to see a couple of large hawks perched in trees next to the road. I think it was Rte 1.

I didn't know there was such an interesting population of large birds there. (I'm in East Goshen)

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pinwheel:

There are many large birds here. I've been posting images to the bird watching forum of turkey vultures (taken down tonight), great blue heron (taken down tonight), mature bald eagle, juvenile bald eagle, and osprey.

These birds are all at the Octoraro Reservoir and in my back yard.

• kkeley
    17 years ago

I live in northern Chester Co., near Kimberton, and twice now I have seen what sure look like black vultures. Today there were about 10 of them feeding on a dead deer on the farm of our next door neighbor. Three even spent a little time on the roof of our house. Is it common for them to be this far north? And are they dangerous to our dogs? I read an article that said they sometimes attack live cattle.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting