Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

Growth rate of Royal Purple Smokebush

User
16 years ago

Hi ALL!

Need info from SE PA gardeners who own a Royal Purple smokebush.

What has the growth rate been for you for this cultivar of smokebush?

I need privacy and I need something tall, so I planted a 4 foot Royal purple smokebush in the spot I needed it.

It is very thin and has put on little growth since September.

"Grace" has grown very tall and fast for me.

I wanted another variety though, something different.

Please tell me it has grown fast for you.

It receives full sun, morning til night by the way.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

Mine grew so quickly and so large, I had to have it removed. Too big for its spot. But then, I'm in SW PA.

• rokoku
    16 years ago

Mine has grown about five feet in its first full season. It was about 3' when I planted it. It's at the top of a railroad tie retaining wall, so it gets excellent drainage.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all!
    Good! I hope it grows real tall and bushy. I just didn't want to wait 5 or 6 years for a little privacy.
    Online they say the growth rate is slow.
    It is planted in an area that has excellent drainage.
    It is in the back of my yard, then 3-4 feet is the chain link fence, then my neigbors above ground pool with huge platform to get into pool, a deck I guess.
    When they are in pool, or on deck, they see my entire small yard. I have no privacy at all.
    Now, they bought a very large shed that takes up most of their yard. It is positioned to the left of the pool, overlooking my yard to the left.
    So, when I go out in my small rectangle yard, about 30 feet long by 20 feet wide, I immediately see a very large shed and directly in the back of my yard, a huge above ground pool with this tall metal deck they use to get in it.
    I am hoping the purple smoke bush, along with my "grace" smoke bush will provide some privacy for me within a reasonable time period.
    THe rose of sharon I planted last year along one side is a slow grower, so I planted some native honeysuckle, which isn't growing so well at all.
    You don't think about privacy til you don't have any at all.
    Thanks all!

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I have one its huge ,alot bigger than I wanted it to.BUt pretty

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THank you all for your responses,
    Now I have a hope for privacy!
    Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC