Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mombo_gw

Boo Cold

mombo
18 years ago

This morning it was zero. Yikes! Now the sky is a beautiful blue and the sun is blazing. It has gone up to a toasty four degrees. On Friday we had 12 inches of fluffy snow. It looks like a winter wonderland. I sure am happy about the nice blanket Mother Nature put on my plants before this cold spell. Hopefully all the new things I planted this Summer and Fall are taking nice naps. Looks like I will be concentrating on house plants for a while. They brighten up the atmosphere. Besides looking at plant catalogs and my garden journal, what are you fellow gardeners doing during this down time? I would like to hear from you. P.S Happy Holidays to you & yours!

Comments (12)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Down here in Chester county, it's only in the mid teens, and we have about 3-6 inches of snow. I was looking at my Hellebores just before the snow and gloating over the H niger buds and thinking how early they were, but they are hidden under the white stuff now, so will probably not bloom till February or so.

George

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

It was 6 degrees at my house this morning, which is simply unacceptable. It's not even winter yet!

My last garden chore was moving the potted bamboo into a warmer microclimate by the garage. It was a pain rolling those heavy pots all the way around the house, but as it turns that was the last warm day we had . Those pots would be frozen to the ground right now.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Mid-teens this morning with 2 to 3 inches from last Thursday. It looks like it is about 20 degrees now. It is going down to 7 tonight with a high of 24 tomorrow. Whooooppppeeeee.

On Thursday, we get another "wintry mix."

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

Brrrrrrr!!!!!

5 degrees this AM, and even colder at the lower altitudes, i'm sure.

as much as i hate having to tread thru snow, i think of it the same way as mombo: it's nice that my plants are covered with this blanket in such cold temperatures.
    not to mention the fact that the snow-covered roof helps to insulate the house, especially with oil prices as they are!

like carol said, winter has not arrived yet...however, i am anxiously eyeing the calendar. no, i don't like winter. every year i am obsessed with the arrival of spring. so after december 21st, every day i check the sunrise/sunset times and make note of how much longer the days are.
    LOL..yes, it's crazy, but it makes the winter more bearable.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

4 degrees at my house this morning. How much colder can these autumn days get?

Is December 21st really when the days start getting longer? That's very comforting!

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Naturenut:

For years, I have been using the shortest day as the turning point for a return to Spring and Summer too. Now if we can do something about January, February, and the first 2 weeks of March.

• luvsgrtdanes
    18 years ago

A balmy 9 degrees here in Philly this morning!! Holiday things keep me busy so I don't mind the cold right now. Winter sowing after that and plenty of catalogs to day dream with.
    BRRR!!!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

It was 12° F out on the balcony here in Philly yesterday morning and about 16° F this morning. Supposed to warm up tonight and tomorrow into the 40s during the storm to make the precipitation a rain event by Friday morning. Problem is - there is still alot of glacial streets and sidewalks out there and with so many days of cold, the 40s ain't gonna melt the glaciers fast enough before the rains come. And so it'll end up being nothing but water on top of ice - a killer combo! Sigh...

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

We got a few more inches of snow last night, before it turned to rain, so now it's a slushy mess. I'm cruising the seeds and plant catalogs - spring is such a long way off.
    Pam

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

it is really amazing how quickly we acclimate. it has been COLD lately. so tonight when i took the dog out, the 28 degrees felt balmy. i stood on the back deck with no coat, and enjoyed the "warm" air.
    hard to believe that just 2 months ago, i'd have been wearing a wool cap, telling the dog to "hurry up!"

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

LOL, that's so true. Today with temperatures in the mid thirties I was out without a coat thinking how nice it was to have a break in the weather... and a little warm sunshine.

We were down to -5 the other morning. I worry about my crape myrtle. I hope the roots make it.

.... and the bunny outside in his hutch. He gets a warm bowl of water every night and every morning and seems to like it. Today he ventured outside in his yard to inspect the snow. During the colder weather he wouldn't even poke his nose out the door.

• earline_pa zone 6 Pa.
    18 years ago

MUD!!!! and a six month old German Shep pup who LOVES to dig.
    She replaced the chipmunk who used to find my bulbs :(
    Nuff said.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living