Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Coconut Palms in Noonamah

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

Thought I'd add to the coconut photos, so these are some of mine that I took this morning. I started out with a dawn shot but I've put that one last.

Tall one visible from the road out front when driving to my place. There's an Archontophoenix on the left and some Carpentarias on the right.

These are in the main garden. they were a part of a group of about 10 coconuts in the garden that never fruited despite being so tall. That was an advantage, not having nuts raining down. Bad enough when the fronds fall but at least they make a warning noise. Then a couple of years ago lightning took out six of them in one flash. These 2 were on the outer of the group and spared. Now this year they've started fruiting for some reason. Not happy with that.

Under tree canopy, amongst Carpentaria Palms.

This one fruits but doesn't produce a lot. Or at least some animal gets up there and eats the small immature nuts. I often see the husks on the ground.

Tall one again, produces a lot of nuts but is out of the way.

There's always nuts around, LOL. But it is a bit of a worry when you have visitors and you start wondering whether any of then are standing under a possible shower of coconuts.

Some sprout fairly quickly, some just don't sprout.

There's something that likes young/immature coconuts, but have never worked out what it is yet.

Disposal of excess nuts is a problem.

Usually I throw them aside to deal with later. But then forget about them.

This one fell over. Don't know why the roots just suddenly gave out one day. I watched it going slowly. Was going to remove it but then decided it would look good curved up. I'm going to prop it up a bit higher then plant some bromeliads on it to stop kids from running up along it.

These are the ones which have all the trouble in the dry season. They should be bigger with a larger crown. When I get around to sorting out some irrigation they should do better.

This was dawn today.

Comments (9)