Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagomar_gw

Weather con

LagoMar
11 years ago

Another Weather Channel con job. The latest winter cold front they named "dangerous winter storm Iago". Their weather maps boldly predicted 3-6 inches of snow for Virginia Beach. As a precaution I put umbrellas over the center of my Jelly palms, since I know from 2011 that they do not like snow to stick around the heart for extended periods of time. We ended up not even receiving a single flake. Temps bottomed out at 37 and we never switched over from rain. I find it ironic that they call their storm tracker "storm con". Just another television example of the boy who cried "wolf". This time they cried "Iago".

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

Turn to the National Weather Service or Weather Underground.

You'll get the weather w.o. the drama. Local weather are building up the cold coming as if it were the Apocalypse. Give me a break! 50 tomorrow, then a few days below normal. No snow cover and the grass is green. Are these twits too young to know how brutal January has been years past. With all the discussion of palms and gardening zones, not enough of thought is given to the DURATION of cold events. It has generally been mild enough that the ground is still not frozen.--makes a difference with palms. I bet we get right back into sunny, above average weather a few days after frontal passage, but I understand your rant over the hype.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I really don't think that "Iago" was anything particularly dangerous so to see 7/10 on there own storm:con index is definitely a bit dramatic. I dont like the whole naming of winter storms and I dont know anyone serious about the weather who does either.
    And I agree with NJ, they are saying how cold it's going to be next week and (thankfull) that is not the case. I see a night of 16F and that is colder than we have seen and possibly the coldest night of the year, but it's still not something that we dont get during a typical winter. If temperatures drop below 16F (which they might) then I do see a reason to talk about the cold because I have seen forecasts drop 10 degrees before major cold events and I dont think my palms are protected well enough to handle single digits for a very long duration! Its hard to complain about the cold when tomorrow is going to be nearly 50F and perfectly sunny! We are nearly 2/3 through winter so we might make it through without any major cold! I hope so anyways!
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a good thing the snow was so little and will be long gone even in areas that got it. It is even colder when there is a snow pack for Mr sun to work on.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Weather.hype-LOL

I can see Jim Cantore out there now(like he was during Sandy),
    bending down and over reacting like something is happening.:0

• User
    11 years ago

Jim, the hyping is a problem because when the real storms hit, people are so inured to the hype, they don't react. Sandy was not hyped! It was actually far worse than estimated--largely due to its enormous size, slow movement and highly unusual path (from SE to NW, not S to N, or more commonly S/SW to the N/NE). In fact, the storm was vastly underestimated in some respects because it was not a typical hurricane.

I don't knw how I feel about the whole naming thing of mid-latitude cyclones. I thought at first the naming was going to be reserved for these intense, subtropical, ocean storms like Sandy, but it seems kind of silly to name every storm that brings a few inches of snow to the Midwest in January. People definitely pay attention to the names though, and when Sandy lost the label of 'Hurricane Sandy', people (including the mayor of NYC), took it less seriously.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I understand that thanks....

I didn't say Sandy was hyped-I was saying that Cantore (sorry I didn't make this clearer)was standing out there yelling and
    acting like a fool-LOL

I remember at one point he was saying,look at those white caps!

I think the waves may have been 2 feet tall-LOL

I think he may have gone inside for some tea during the worst of it.

I remember him being like-look at that,like it was his first time by the ocean or something.

Don't get me wrong-I like his enthusiasm,there just wasn't anything going on at the time,he may have been to worn out when the higher winds,rain and tide hit...

anyone remember that?

• theseventhlegend
    11 years ago

I remember some kids playing in the background during one of Jim Cantore's takes on Sandy just hours before landfall. I don't think the storm itself was over hyped, but people have a hard time taking "warnings" seriously when your news caster is exaggerating current conditions and acting rediculous on national tv.

• LagoMar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When it comes to storms like Sandy and other hurricane remnants that can hit the US, they love to make a big deal of the wind conditions. Hopefully everyone clearly understands now that it is the flooding from heavy rains and storm surge that are FAR more dangerous and deadly. I think that is why many people don't take these storms seriously. The winds are truly diminished by the time they make landfall, and all that the media wants to hype is the wind. They should be hyping the storm surge, and in many cases the copious amounts of rainfall expected, which frequently cause inland locations near rivers to be in greater peril than those of us by the shore. Most won't believe the truth in that however, as evidenced by our insurance rates.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Yea,in the case of Sandy that huge and slow moving wall of water(at high tide)
    was what was truly scary-esp when you look at the elevation(or lack of it)in the New York area.