Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

trachycarpus ''Tesan"

islandbreeze
11 years ago

Anybody know of any sources for Tesan seedlings or plants? I know seeds are available, but I'm interested in something a little further along.

Also interested in the trachycarpus Plant Delights had a couple years back called "Tennessee Hardy".

Comments (9)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I have some if you want one in the spring let me know.

I am looking to sell some of my seedlings so I will have more room for tropicals.

I have some Tesan,Winsan,2 types of Nova,S.McCurtain and S.Brazoria that I want to sell in spring.

Here is the biggest Trachycarpus Tesan in the ground-the ones in pots a a few leaves smaller.
    They are very cool palms-very compact growth habit-so far.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome, thanks Jim. Do they grow pretty fast for you? I may take you up on a McCurtain too. They should have no problem in 6b.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I think they do grow pretty fast-first to recover from being left on the porch in the cold.

I planted a McCurtain out at the end of winter last year and
    I didn't have lights to reach it when i covered it-pulled the
    top off yesterday and it still looks great(no heat),pretty amazing for such a small plant!

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

Hey Jim remember the Tesans you sold me a while ago? Only one made it but it is growing strong. More wide than tall but still kicking. I'll post a pic for ya later. I am interested in getting a Winsan and a Nova from you. Let me know if you want to negotiate a deal. I would take delivery in March since it's kinda cold here.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How big are your McCurtains?

I'm kind of on a mission/interested in finding the hardiest trachy for my area right now for some reason. I have 4 big trachies that aren't doing well in pots anymore, probably 2 feet of trunk each. Look like they're starting to yellow a bit due to deficiencies. 2 of them are Taylor form, and I'll prob put them in the ground this spring to make room for new palms.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Hey Jim, if you have an abundance, I would be interested in trying Tesan, Winsan, or Nova. I know years ago when they were offered, Gary was run off of a number of boards as being a hoax, I believe he claimed extra hardiness with those. Have you noticed any difference in hardiness, growth, habit, etc...?

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Remind then Larrick-

Ryan-

The McCurtain have about 7 strap leaves or so.

Brad-

I have a few (at least) of each.

The Winsan do have Fortunei nearby so there is no guarantee
    that a few won't be hybrids.

I have 2 kinds of Nova but they are basically unnamed in that they are just designated by letters at this point.
    I have some Tesan too.

In regard to people giving Garry a hard time,these were basically some retards that think they know more than someone who
    has discovered a few new kinds of Trachys in his own backyard(China)including at least one totally different kind of
    Princeps several different "Nova",not to mention Winsan and Misan.

These palms are clearly different than some forms of Fortunei
    and even have different (flower) spathes.

Garry has gone out of his way to give people a chance to
    grow these shipping 1000s of seeds for free so that palm enthusiast the world over can try them.
    Some people are never happy-

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is your seed source for the tesan or did you receive them as seedlings already? Is there a possibility the Tesan are hybrids? Sorry for all the questions, just getting into learning about them. Sounds promising, I read that they originated or were found in Beijing...a pretty cold part of China.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

All the seeds came from Garry at coldplant.com,the original 6
    are from Jeffz.

All of the dozens of Tesan I have grown from seed seem pretty
    consistent in there shape and size,more so than Fortunei for sure.

I don't know where these originated(maybe a mountain)source
    but I think they have been bread for cold hardiness in some
    mountain locations and this is probably why their features are so consistent.

Click on-more photos-one of my favorites is the one
    with the little pots!-I like mine too(-;

Here is a link that might be useful: Tesan

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA