Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

World Record Holder? Eeyore The Mule Palm

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

Kokomo's Eeyore The Mule Palm, is going into the record books if he survives last week's Polar Vortex attack. According to Erik Brown of the Mule Palm Nursery, the current World record holder is a mature Mule palm in Northern FL that survived a temperature dip down to 10F. Eeyore, the puny baby 3 gallon Mule just smashed that record not only by surviving multiple drops below 6F but a Nor'easter, a Blizzard and multiple wind chills in to the minus teens-all within a 2-month period. Here are 2 pictures of Eeyore and 2 snapshots of the officially observed weather from 2 different sources.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 9:56

Comments (8)

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eeyore

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TWC

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Accuweather

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Glad to see the spear is still nice and green, that is very promising.
    Butias are one of the trickiest palms in my experience when it comes to showing damage so I would keep an eye on it and neither get too excited or give up because anything can happen in spring. If it pulls through I will definitely be getting a mule palm! I hope it survives, definitely keep us updated!
    -Alex

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very suprising, I am impressed. Like Alex said, keep a eye on it some times the rot doesn't set in until the temps rise.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there an early sign that the palm will show that means I'm out of the woods? If it shoots out new healthy spears before the winter is over, then does that mean its alive and well?
    FYI: I took no chances and poured Hydrogen Peroxide down the crown.

• patbatzu
    10 years ago

Appears to be a bit damaged but I think it will recover. I suggest protecting it next time. A little protection goes a looooooong way perhaps a bucket or blanket cover it

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No doubt, that the slightest protection would have made a huge difference for both my Mule and my Pindos. I'm trying to push these palms to see which ones can survive up here totally unprotected.

So far its the usual suspects:
    Needles
    Sabal Palmettos
    Windmills (Over 5 ft tall)