Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theseventhlegend

Lowe's & Palms

theseventhlegend
11 years ago

I know there are a lot of Gardenweb members always asking where to find palms so just wanted to remind you that you can go to Lowe's on-line site and search palms and order many of your standard palms in a variey of sizes. It might not work for you based on your zip code, but I can get anything from Needles to Royals, from 2 gallon to field grown. Decent prices too. So might be worth checking for yourself.

No I don't work for Lowe's lol. I just wanted to pass along to those who don't know that you can order from there.

Comments (28)

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Hi. Yes, I bought a Queen palm from Lowes and a Pygmy Date palm from Home Depot. I didn't check those places too often but they had Pindo, Mexican Fan, Queen, Canary Island-regular Date, European Fan, and Windmill palms. I will be checking them more in the Spring, as well as the local nurseries for palms as I want to add to what I have here in my yard. I have read that some of the stores back East carry Sabals. I haven't seen any over here yet.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

well I tried this a week ago...and it dosen't work around this area. Most palms on there web site are store pick up only. so I took them a list of what I wanted they said this "area" ran out in Tennessee. so anything further south they could not order from. they tried to talk to me like I was dumb and said why would you buy these they won't grow here speech. Anyways I am stuck with what few they do get. last year the only one I came across at lowes was a med fan. I'll get there early this year and try again. Walmart had a needle last year as well but I havent seen many places this far north that stock palms. NJoasis said they get a large selection and he is alot further north than me but they don't do that around here. thanks for the info though

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Hi. I moved to Arizona last Spring from Massachusetts. What really amazes me is how drought tolerant some of these palms are here in my town. I only get around nine inches of rain here annually. I water the palms in my yard but there are many many street palms and palms in people's yards where they are gone away for the Summer. These palms never get any extra water, yet seem to do fine. I don't think Queen palms can make it on their own but Meds, Robustas, Filifera, Date, and Mexican Blue palms do fine.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I tried that as well with trying to get large coconuts. They won't ship any unless they are the normal small ones.

All those palms above are native to areas with low rain fall. So they are pretty much at home in the desert. Now the queens can take some drought. I've seen some over here that only get water when it rains. We do get a little more than 2x the rain fall you get though. But most of the rain falls only in winter months so summer is bone dry. They arn't all that happy.

- US_Marine

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Hi. I get most of the rain here in the Summer during the "Moonsoon" season. The clouds come up from Mexico in the late afternoon and it "trys" to rain. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. You are right though, the palms I mentioned do live in dryer areas. It just amazes me how little water they can survive on.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I even tried to get Lowes to ship a 1 gallon Butia and they said no...

• theseventhlegend
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's really lame about Lowe's. Their inventory will be up come spring but it sounds like it depends a lot where you live and how close you are to their suppliers.

Bob it is amazing, and at least it gives you a good selection of palms to choose from.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I think they acually have this down as a zone 6 and not many palms are for zone 6 so they only stock what is for this zone..although we all know with just a little work there are 15-20 more that can grow here. hopefully they stock a few more this year.

• User
    11 years ago

I have been seeing many more zone 7 and higher plants being sold as outdoor plants in recent years at both the Big Boxes and the nurseries. This includes plants like Hardy gardenias, agaves, camellias, Magnolias, Nandina, Photina "Red Tip" (which b.t.w. are free of whatever blight that sees to be ther downfall in the Deep South), etc., and, off course the blue pot palms which just appeared w.i. the past 2-3 years but seem to be increasing annually. I believe the suppliers for "outdoor" plants are different than those for "houseplants". So maybe the outdoor suppliers are using those gardening zones in determining what gets shipped to local markets in order to help avoid losses. I AM surprised that the selection of housepants differs by region in the big boxes. Afterall, if you can grow Majesty Palms in Detroit, why not Triangle And Cat Palms as well (two other speces that I frequently see sold here). Also, my local Big Boxes WILL try to specialty order for the customer at no extra cost if requested at customer service.

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Just curious, If i get me a Washy from lowe's is considered a Filifera or robusta ?. I live in North Alabama and last spring i got me a Washy (tag said Rubusta). How can i tell from the two which one i have ?.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I'm betting it is the Mexican fan palm, or W.robusta. The California fan palm, or W.filifera is not a fan of humid summers from what I've heard.

- US_Marine

• User
    11 years ago

Good luck with that one! Based on what I have read, mostly what is being sold is filibusta. Filifera and robusta readily hybridize, which is a good thing because the hybrid has some of the better traits of each. Post a picture if possible. I gave up trying to decide on degrees of pedigree for this one. As a group, they seem to show a lot of differences in hardiness anyway. I know, the filiferas are cold hardier, BUT, they do grow more slowly and really resent high humidity compared than robusta. I decided I had mutts and called it a day.

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Picture taken during the fall. Its all rapped up right now.

• User
    11 years ago

I love these palms that seem to get so litte respect in Cali. b.t.w. . I have several of them--two in the ground and more in the garage in tubs. I meant to post a pic. They seem to all have the same amount of fibers. Purchased in a local supermarket chain a few years ago for $10.00 each. So, which is it--filifera, filibusta, robusta?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Im a Huge fan of the Washy. I have 1 seedling robusta and 1 filifera doing very well in there containers.

You got me though, i have no clue which one i have. I was told a while ago that home depot will label the washy as filifera rather then robusta. But im Just not sure.

• User
    11 years ago

Alabama, yours sure looks like it has more robusta in it than mine.
    (So far mine are not protected. Will play it by ear as supposed to turn really mild now--60 f.)

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Risky move by not protecting. How's that working for you. This is my first year protecting my palms just so they can be established some. Next winter i dont plan on protecting them just to see if they will survive.

• User
    11 years ago

I covered them with a heavy blanket when it dropped into the mid 20's but it has been quite mild so far. They look great so far. They are against the side of the house in a western exposure and starting to get that afternoon sun. (Ground is not frozen at any depth.)

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Wow thats amazing. How long have you had them in the Ground ?

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I agree with njoasis.

Over here all 3 are very common and grow like weeds. They are actually quite easy to tell apart once they pass seedling stage just by looking at their trunks. The Filifera has a very thick trunk, like that of the cidp or jubaea. The Robusta has thin trunk that is kinda coconut like in way. The hybrids have a trunk that is neither as thick as Filifera, but not as thin as Robusta. Its in the middle.

Heres what I am talking about the trunk sizes:
    {{gwi:1114133}}
    The palm in the middle is a Robusta.

Pic 2: The 2 palms in the front are CIDPS. You can see a Robusta to the right of the cidp on the left. The others are filifera's.
    {{gwi:1114134}}

pic 3: Better view of Filifera's.
    {{gwi:1114135}}

Pic 4: Better view of Robusta:
    {{gwi:1114136}}

Why no Cali love?? lol :p But yeah hybrids are interesting. No two hybrids will have the same traits. You never know what genes are going to be passed down and which ones will show.

- US_Marine

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Yeah i can see the Difference but thats when they reach a good heigh. How can i determine it at such a young age ?

• miketropic
    11 years ago

Never seen a triangle palm at lowes. I did just pick up a pygmy date. they had majesty and cat palms as well all in the house plant section. last year the only outdoor palm I could find at lowes was a med. fan and I don't remember it being in a blue pot but it was somthing like 40 bucks for it. I did find a palm place I think has good deals but Id like to be able to pick them out in person..really hope Lowes and HD come through..if not I'm gunna get them to order some from your stores NJoasis..next time I'll ask customer service and not the garden center people.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I'm not too sure how they tell when they are at seedling stage. But looking at older ones their colors seem to be another way of telling the difference. The Robusta's to me seem to have darker green fronds while the Filifera's have lighter green fronds. I am sure it shows up early as well. The other thing is if it ws bought in the East chances are its not Filifera. Its either a Robusta or the hybrid. Looks like a Robusta to me though.

- US_Marine

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Ok. Well i guess only time will tell.

• theseventhlegend
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here in FL it's not uncommon for Robusta's to also get fat trunks, but usually they swell at the base. They don't get as tall as Filifera's but that could be because of lightning. lol And humidity also keeps them shorter. But US Marine makes a good point regarding east/west coast purchase and the dark green fronds.

• hardytropicals
    11 years ago

75% of my Palms are bought from Home Depot for 15.99 each in a 5 gallon pot .... Lowe's didn't have them at all.

• hardytropicals
    11 years ago

75% of my Palms are bought from Home Depot for 15.99 each in a 5 gallon pot .... Lowe's didn't have them at all.

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Thats crazy, I picked up my washy from Home Depot but i spent about double for a 5 gallon pot. Oh well, it was well spent cause the washy is looking amazing.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz