Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_like_pi

Should I Protect it?

i_like_pi
11 years ago

Hello,my name is Alex.
The past year, I got a windmill palm in March.
Since this is its first winter and the temps here will be dropping into the teens next week, I was wondering, should I protect the palm?

Comments (13)

• andyandy
    11 years ago

I would, it may not be cold enough to kill it but it could burn the leaves. if you have some fallen leaves somewhere in the yard you could cover it up, or some hay. if you get some fluffy snow you could even bury it in the snow. Just make sure once you get a warm up to uncover it. A bigger issue then the cold can be getting water in the crown.

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks andyandy,

I wish it would snow...

Unfortunately, all the leaves have been collected.
    Would wrapping it in burlap work?

• chadec
    11 years ago

Tie the fronds up with twine. Wrap it up with burlap and if possible flip a trash can over on it. Now that some of mine are taller I use pvc and a frost cloth for a makeshift tent.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I agree with Chadec, if you wrap it in burlap and flip a trash can over it (to keep the rain or snow off of it when it's cold out) it should do fine! Thats basically how I have been protecting my palms for the past few years and I havent had any problems so far!
    Good luck and welcome to the fourm!
    -Alex

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex and Chadec,

So wrapping it in burlap it is...

On a side note, would wrapping also work on a clump of bananas?

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

No, bananas are much more susceptible to freezing because of the high water content in the trunks. Once the trunks freeze, they are done.

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh
    What could be done to protect it?
    Thanks,
    Alex

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

As a side note, many commercially grown windmills were raised in nurseries in Florida greenhouses, so likely have never been exposed to any cold weather, so winter wrapping is advisable for the first few years. Depending on where in Maryland you are and you're zone 7a or 7b, will depend on how much wrapping and how many seasons. Western Maryland likely needs winter wrapping every season.

I use ace bandages to tie up the fronds because they are wide, soft and it sticks to itself.

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in the DC Metro, so z7a

• chadec
    11 years ago

What kind of bananas? If you are growing cold hardy varieties then cut them down and mulch heavy. Other wise you will need to dig them up every year.

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Growing a Basjoo and a banana that was bought as Thai Black.
    However, it is obviously not that variety.
    Here is the Banana in question.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Basjoo should be fine with mulch. I cut mine back in early Dec. As for the other idk. If it returns in spring you'll be lucky. I always try to overwinter a pup inside. Just in case I have some that die off.

• i_like_pi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have wrapped the palm in burlap.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor