Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_zone_5b

A couple summer pictures of my yard.

Jeff_Zone_5b
11 years ago

I figured I would bring back some warm feelings of warmth with a couple pictures of my yard from this past summer.

Comments (24)

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another shot of my front yard. Musa Bajoo Banana

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Garden beside my rum shack. This one will evolve more in the spring.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A look at the back of the house (north side).

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Beautiful! So where are you? How does it look around this time of year? I'm sure in 5B it must look significantly different.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Ajax which is just to the east of Toronto. So that is a Canadian 5b rating as well. I'll snap a couple pictures of the yard today and put them up.

Here is one of the Windmill in the front right before I put the last panels on.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that you can see the Japanese Maple in the front of the picture which I never protect. I also have the dwarf palmetto tot he left of the picture which just gets a rose cone over the top of it.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

I'm betting if your neighborhood has a "Best Landscaping" contest you would win!

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LagoMar, the town has a competition each year, you get nominated to compete. I've competed now for the second year and first with the Palms and Banana's. Still didn't win. Each ward has a top winner. I get beat out by ppl who take a handfull of native seeds and cast them across their garden.

I think I'm too leading edge lol.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Odd. I guess they are looking for a sustainable garden with plants native to your area.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Front Yard with the Windmill Box and Dwarf Palmetto under a rose cone. Japanese Maple in front of the Windmill Box.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Entire front yard with the Musa Bajoo under a leaf/tarp enclosure. This is the most snow on the ground for us since March 2011. It's -6C with sun today.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of the Rum Shack with two Musa Bajoo's protected on either side of it. Also the needle palm with a blanket over top of it. I'll need to get it boxed in the next week or so.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of the Waggie all boxed up for the winter and Buddy checking out what's going on.

• palmcitrusbananava
    11 years ago

The colors in your yard look fantastic!!!

Could you please tell me what the tall grass against the fence is?

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Pindo all boxed up along with my greenhouse off the front of my Garage. I have some Banana, young Musa Bajoo, Hibiscus, some herbs, and 7 potted palms.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

palmcitrusbananavaz7, I call them Chinese Tall Grass and I've also seen it marketed under that name. It'a actually Giant Chinese Silver Grass. In the summer it takes on the look of Bamboo and grows upwards of 12'. We leave them up during the winter, cut them down in early spring and they shoot back up. The big ones are a few years old and the small ones were planted this summer.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Don't know how I missed this but-really love the color in the yard!

great job on your covers/protection....onward to spring,bigger and better(-:

• miketropic
    11 years ago

how old is that windmill jeff? looks to have a few years on it

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

Tree has been in the ground for one season. I planted it in the middle of May.

Jim, Thanks for the compliment. I have another 8' Windmill coming plus I'm bring in a California Fan Palm, some more Sabol Minor's, Needle and a couple Golden Lotus Banana. Well at least that's the minimum I'm bringing in lol.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great looking yard! Any idea what variety of Canna that is? I used to have lots of different cannas, but after that Canna virus started getting more widespread I stopped buying new ones. Now the ones I have are taking over my yard (I leave them in the ground) but in the spring I'm going to dig a lot of them up and make some room for new varieties if I can trust that they are healthy!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The really tall ones in the planters with the variegated leaves and the soft pink/orange flowers are Canna "Stuttgart", The ones with the Orange Flowers in the middle of the garden are Canna "Orange Crush". The ones in my front yard red with red flower are Canna "Australia". The Stuttgart's were advertised at 6' tall total height, the Australia's were advertised at 5" total height. I had both of them pushing almost 10' in some instances more. I owe it all to Milorganite.

I also used Milorganite with heavy feedings on my Banana's. The Musa in the front yard was potted last year and I planted it this spring. It started out as a single stalk roughly 3' tall. At the end of the season it was pushing 12' with roughly 7-8 stalks. I also had the "red" Banana in the back garden that started out as a single stalk, 3' tall and grew to almost 9' with multiple stalks.

The Picture I`ve attached was taken June 28th.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

stuttgart will get big but looks awful in full sun. all the white burns really easy. Never tried orange crush but australia does well for me also. The largest one I had topped out at 15 ft and it was a canna Omega. real nice stuff Jeff. is it easy to find such large palms in CAN or do you have them shipped in?

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

The big problem with cannas around here is the Japanese Beetles love them.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, The Big Palms are all shipped in. I deal with another Mike out of Montreal who brings up a couple tractor trailer loads each spring. We then drop ship them from him to us.

I don't know if our sun gets as hot as other places, but we had early burning of the white when they were first planted, all the new growth however did not brown in the sun. They are awesome looking Canna's but they don't have the nicest flowers. My "Orange Crush" flower the most and give off the best blooms. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to dig them up this year with the rest of my tenders. I'll be buying some tubers this year instead of the whole plant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting