Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca Rostrata

Posted by longaeva54 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 10:26

Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden in zone 5 or 6 ?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca Rostrata

That's a beaut! Are you going to plant outside in 5 or 6? Where'd you get it and how much? Where do you live? I had a small rostrata die its first winter unprotected in a cold zone 6, but I think if you can keep it dry it should be able to work. There are several people if not here, then on other boards that have similar sized rostratas in 5 and 6.

o

I have a much smaller one & I cover it during the winter.

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

Are you still a 5b Jim? I stayed 6a, but I think you have a better climate than me for growing what we grow. You have more fluctuation of temps and cold lows, but we stay consistently cold longer!

o

I live in Poland and bought rostrata on September 2011. I payed 110 Dollars for it. We have sometimes -13 Fah. below.
Jimhardy, what is your minimum temps during winter?
Some of my yuccas and hardy cactus under poly tent.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here is a link that might be useful:Yuccas
Here is a link that might be useful:Hardy yuccas

o

Sorry, it is OK now.
Here is a link that might be useful:Hardy yuccas

o

Think so Bradleyo,not sure if my climate is better...what is your location??

We have averaged -8F over the last 11 years,I have not
seen it stay above zero(F)-low temps- in any winter here.
It just takes a little snow(the typical winter snow field
is about 100 miles north of here) cover and some Arctic air!

Your plants look great longaeva54-
lots of pics in that Hardy Yucca link I remember seeing
when I was searching for info on those plants..

Minimum temps the last few years
Jan 2008 -8F
Jan 2009 -18F
Jan 2010 -12F
Feb 2011 -8
So far this winter 2F,zone 7a right (-;

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

BEAUTIFUL!! How old is it? I have been doing as much learning on these plants as I can, because I'd like to get one. I would keep it potted, and would winter inside the house. My research has told me they are VERY slow growing... there are some seedlings on Ebay that I've looked at (blue beaked yucca) but I figure it would take them forever to not look like seedlings anymore! I am very envious of your yucca!

o

I'm planning on planting one outside this summer. I'm planning on covering it with a plastic container until it gets too big and then just putting a bag over the top to keep the leaves dry once it gets too tall. Don't know if it will work but I'm gonna try it.

o

I got one bare root that through mail order that I tried here about 4 years ago. It died the following spring due to rot in the crown. The winter cold didn't bother it, just the moisture. I'm wondering if it had a decent root system if it would have done better. I had it planted under an overhang, but it still got wet. I would love to try another one again, but the larger ones are too expensive to experiment with.

o

From what I've learned, when they are young they aren't stable enough to stay outside during the winter...so the first couple years are best spent wintering inside.

I'm planning on getting one or two soon...and growing them in pots on my deck during the warmer months, and inside during the winter....for starters anyway.

o

grullablue, I don't know how old it is, I just bought it last year.

o

Since my yucca rostrata is new. I covered it this winter , bought an umbrella greenhouse. There r big ones in my area thatbr left uncovered once they r established and they survive.

My regular yuccas I just leave and they r find. Live in staten island ny.

o

California, I planted a small one w.o. a trunk a couple of years ago . It spend most of last winter under a glacier (my front yard) with no protection. Despite the cold and wet winter, it went through it just fine. Don't know about Zone 5/6, but a nice microclimate with good drainage would help.

o

we have pretty mild winters in NYC...last year was a freak yaer...but i just wanted to give it some protection this year, first year, afterwards it will be fine. i see yucca rostratas in my area that are over 8 and 10 feet tall, they are huge and survive and thrive here.

o

I can't wait to get mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here