Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerybutterflye

I need some advice on my Majesty Palm

faerybutterflye
13 years ago

I have a 5' majesty palm that did fabulously outdoors on my patio last summer and I had to move it indoors for the winter. Since I moved it inside, it has given me nothing but problems. When I moved it in, it still has 4 new spikes of various sizes and a few partially opened fronds. They seem like they've stopped growing? I have it on my dining room table in front of a North-facing window, but I also open my huge South-facing window blinds across the room to give it some light. My first problem, I think, was when we turned the heater on and it blew on the leaves. I lost 2 fronds to what looked like a terrible burn (all the leaves turned black) and I pruned them off. So I closed the vent and that seemed to help, but just today, I had one of my big fronds just bend and break in the middle of the "branch" and a smaller frond on the bottom turn brown. In fact, pretty much every single frond has the tips of its leaves turning brown. I water them about once a week but maybe I'm not watering it often enough? I also saw that they like to be misted so I will start doing that. It's potted in a 16" pot and my house is very old and drafty, maybe that is part of the problem? Also, I've noticed a few gnats around our houseplants and my mom suggested sprinkling the dirt with diatomeceous earth...would that be advisable? I'm so sad, what started as a healthy giant plant has turned into a pitiful looking mess in a little over a month! I've pruned off 4 big fronds and probably 3 or 4 smaller ones. I have just one big frond left and I'm afraid this lovely plant will die before the weather warms back up so I can put it back outside. Anybody have any suggestions? :(

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks