Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need some advice on my Majesty Palm

Posted by faerybutterflye 7B OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 3, 11 at 10:34

I have a 5' majesty palm that did fabulously outdoors on my patio last summer and I had to move it indoors for the winter. Since I moved it inside, it has given me nothing but problems. When I moved it in, it still has 4 new spikes of various sizes and a few partially opened fronds. They seem like they've stopped growing? I have it on my dining room table in front of a North-facing window, but I also open my huge South-facing window blinds across the room to give it some light. My first problem, I think, was when we turned the heater on and it blew on the leaves. I lost 2 fronds to what looked like a terrible burn (all the leaves turned black) and I pruned them off. So I closed the vent and that seemed to help, but just today, I had one of my big fronds just bend and break in the middle of the "branch" and a smaller frond on the bottom turn brown. In fact, pretty much every single frond has the tips of its leaves turning brown. I water them about once a week but maybe I'm not watering it often enough? I also saw that they like to be misted so I will start doing that. It's potted in a 16" pot and my house is very old and drafty, maybe that is part of the problem? Also, I've noticed a few gnats around our houseplants and my mom suggested sprinkling the dirt with diatomeceous earth...would that be advisable? I'm so sad, what started as a healthy giant plant has turned into a pitiful looking mess in a little over a month! I've pruned off 4 big fronds and probably 3 or 4 smaller ones. I have just one big frond left and I'm afraid this lovely plant will die before the weather warms back up so I can put it back outside. Anybody have any suggestions? :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need some advice on my Majesty Palm

I had a very similar problem with my majesty palm. They hate dry air! so you need to mist them a couple times a day. Also for the gnat problem i usually cover the top of the soil with about 2 inches of sand, it dries faster than soil so the gnats will not be able to live in it.

o

Majesty palms dont really like being indoors for the most part. They can sucessfully stay indoors but they must be misted if your house is dry, and watered pretty well. My majesty palm looks pretty healthy except that the newest frond might not be opening fully. Im getting a little concerned, but Im going to buy a water spritzer and hopefully it will hang in until spring.
Good luck!
-Alex

o

Majesties are pretty thirsty and very challenging to keep indoors. I had 2 that I kept inside over a winter and they were placed in a south-facing window. They took a bit of a beating but made it to the Spring. If you can move yours closer to that south window that you have that would help it. Also, water a little more and do more misting. Good luck !!!

o

Majesty's are my favorite palm and i have avoided any problems for years by
keeping the palm flat against a south east window, wattering heavily once a week.

i dont mist but i have hot watter heat hot air heat really dries out all plants so you will need to mist

my majesty last summer
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Hot water heat probably helps keep more moisture in the air which is a huge plus for many plants, and the majesty palm definitely being one of them! Maybe sending your palm into an unheated garage will at least keep it from growing quickly and possibly keep it from declining? Not really sure if that would work, but it might be a good very last option.
Good luck!
-Alex

o

Is that one of those self watering containers that Walmart carry?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here