Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

yes it really is January! Picture

andyandy
11 years ago

Friday and Saturday were unreal, pushing 60 AND sunny. I had to work Friday so I couldn't get them out but this picture was taken Saturday. it may have only been a couple of days but it was a real nice warm weather oasis for the middle of January.

Comments (10)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

It really was nice outside this past weekend. Really got me in the spring planting mood, and had me already considering which potted palms will go in the ground this coming spring.

Is that a coconut in the big green planter in the middle? I think I also see a washy seedling in the small pot up on the brick ledge...am I correct?

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes to both, its a Filifera,The filifera is alive but not doing real well. The deck in the back of my condo is about 10 feet off of the ground and the wind blew if off the ledge once so it took a tumble. The coconut is doing quite well, its growing just a bit this winter. The kids and I were outside all afternoon. it was glorious!

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I never had luck with Filiferas, even in the summer. I think it's our humidity here that they don't like. I have one in the ground, looks like it's still alive under a rose cone cover, but only spring will tell.

I've grown Robusta, which did well for about 5 years until one spring, it rotted on me. I think I put it out too early in March.

Now I have 2 filibustas, and both grow like weeds for me, 6-8 fronds last summer each. I expect even more growth out of them this summer, since they're bigger and established in their pots. I highly recommend them if the filifera doesn't do well for you.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Your palms are looking healthy. Its been a really great weekend here too. The rains have since moved in and my plants will be going back inside. Lets hope for an early spring.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the compliment. I'm Able to give them direct sun all day which helps.Last spring we had a stretch in March of 10 days where the average high was above 70. That had never happened before in April much less March. We had a few days in that stretch in the low 80s. I was sick as a dog with the flu so i couldn't enjoy much of it. it may be too much to ask for that two years in a row.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

The weather was kind of disappointing here. We definitely did not get as warm as forecasted and it's been several days since the sun has come out. but we are well into the 50s today which is nice even though its cloudy out.
    It was warm enough for me to take some of my plants out and uncover all the palms.
    Looks like the weather was beautiful by you and the plants were enjoying it!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Same here, Our high was 74F but it was raining most of the time and lots of cloud cover.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I went to lexington to look at a new found green house ( which turned out to be amazing ) and the temp said 73 on friday. clear and beautiful but I didn't put anything outside. saturday was around 60 and overcast so I dug some bamboo I found growing wild..now its raining and the ground is just soupy.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex-
    Thank you, hopefulle some of the warm air makes it your way. it's not right and un-natural these past two winters but since there's nothing I can do about it I may was well enjoy it.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

"Make hay while the sun shines"?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County