Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regarding palm wood...

Posted by trishmick z7NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 12:00

Despite our mild Winter thus far (I mean...it's just about tee shirt weather down at the beach today), these guys were pretty much shot by late Nov. And here is one now. I've posted pics of this yard before, and mentioned in a thread that I spoke to the owner quite by accident this past Summer and told him about Windmills. Young guy who just seemed content to plant cocos every year and let them die off. Hey, it's obviously well within his means. But what I'm getting at is...just how sound would the wood from the trunk of this tree be for carpentry purposes?

I take the driftwood I find and use it out at my tiki bar and backyard, and was hoping to rescue this trunk or its neighbor before they are removed. Not gonna just go down there some night with a chainsaw. I'd try to contact the owner first. My plan would be to use it as the base for a small table. Believe me, there is a nice sized trunk under all those toasted fronds...

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regarding palm wood...

They never stood a chance, but at least the winter was nice on some less tropical plants (or at least its been nice so far)!

Coconut palm wood is used a lot in the tropics for building. Im not sure how it compares to other wood, but I would guess that it's pretty strong.

-Alex

o

The colonists used palmetto trunks to build forts. British cannon balls bounced right off, earning the palmetto state tree status in SC and centered on the state flag.

o

Hi
I've used dead palm as well as live to grow orhids and other epiphytes on. Coconut will last over 10 years for sure even exposed to the element with no treatment,
If you put some kind of sealer on it would probably last forever?? gary

o

I don't mean to get off topic, but do you know if the Washingtonias in that area survived? I remember seeing pictures...and he would even be better off planting queens or mules or butias.

o

They fared better this year than last, but stiil didn't survive the wallop of, I'd say, between 1 and 2 weeks of the bitter cold we've had to deal with around here so far this mild Winter. These guys face north and are exposed to both onshore and west winds. Same exacvt setup the last two seasons. Looking forward to what he does this year...

Photobucket

o

And for comparison from the DE/MD state line at a beach mini golf:

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here