Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_462

Bamboo palms dying

mike_462
9 years ago

Hi everyone. About 6 years ago I purchased a small "grow your own palm tree" package in florida. It contained a cluster of about 13 bamboo palms only a few inches tall. Also I'm in new york so the plant is inside for about 9 months of the year. The plant is very healthy I feel because it is developing those flowering shoots all over and has little to no browning of the leaves. Also I repotted it this past summer into a palm tree potting mix. It gets bright indirect sunlight in the winter because it is near a large glass door. (But not close enough where cold would be an issue). So here's the problem... Ever since I've had it, one by one, these little palm trees suddenly die on me. Each year I'd lose 1-2 of them and I have no idea why. The plants would look perfectly healthy (very healthy and actively growing!) and then all the sudden the latest needle/developing frond would brown and so would the rest of the plant. Within a few weeks a little tree would go from perfectly healthy to completely dead. I'm down to 4 palm trees left now and I'm getting concerned. In the 6 years I've had it some trees have grown more rapidly than others and it always seemed that the little ones would die first. I used to assume competition was doing this but they are palms. They have very small root systems and plenty of pot to grow in. So I don't its that. Just last month one of my larger ones died on me.
Anyone have any ideas why these plants are suddenly dying on me? Or any recommendations on how to better care for them?
Thanks.

Comments (5)