Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyhamptons

Queen Palm vs mule palm (hardiness)

NYHamptons
11 years ago

Hi, I am in zone 7a/7b, I am currently growing a Windmill Palm, Musa Ice cream, 3 Musa Basjoos, soon will be possibly growing a Mule Palm or pindo palm, and possibly a sabal birmingham in Southampton, NY! My question is, which palm is hardier. the queen palm, or mule palm? Also, will the queen palm grow slower and grow to maybe 20 feet instead of 50 feet because it is a colder climate? I will protect them both outside with christmas lights around the trunk, burlap around the christmas lights and mulch around the base. I will not bring them inside during the winter or summer. They will be planted outside year round.

Comments (11)

• User
    11 years ago

I would experiment first with a decent sized Butia capitata (Pindo Palm), or perhaps a Mule. Among the feather palms Pindo is quite hardy--especially if protected from excessive winter precip.. Mules would be second hardiest among the three (as they are Butia x Syagrus/Queen hybrids). Queens would be the most tender of the three. I genuinely like them all but so far, but I am growing all mine in large tubs that get protected from Dec-March. Queens are nice enough but they are so tall, even in containers so I don't knw how you would protect the crown.

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Njoasis, I may get the mule pal on ebay for 30 bucks. But in the case of a queen palm, if I used mulch burlap around the trunk with x-mas lights under it, would it be enough? I would also throw a garbage bag over the fronds if necesary. Is there anyway that maybe from the cold, it will stop growing at maybe 10 feet? The mule palm gets to 20 so out here it might stop at 10-15 feet. So thats easy to protect. I would protect it the same way as the queen palm except I wouldn't cover the fronds.

• User
    11 years ago

Maybe someone else can answer your questions. I really don't specialize in protecting palms outside--prefer growing those that will not need any protection. So that limits me to...

A few Sabal... Louisiana and Minors
    Trachycarpus fortunei and wagnerianus
    Chamaerops humilis
    Raphidophyllum hysterix (Needle palms)

My most tender ground specimens are Washingonias, which so far can grow unprotected but I cover under 20 f.. which this year, I did on two nights, and they look great so far!

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trachycarpus fortuneis don't need protection in zone 7a?

• User
    11 years ago

No, not once established.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    11 years ago

(Duplicated post deleted.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by njoasis on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 19:03

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Could my trachy here go without protection?

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have not planted it yet

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I would protect for at least the first few years, and I would never call that palm bulletproof. It would need to be protected at a moments notice in any given year.

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I cut the lower fronds off, will it kill it? That will make it easier to protect.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I like the look of the lower fronds attached so I would leave them on. You can easily tie up the lower fronds with some rope and the more fronds it has, the faster it's going to grow! That is a really healthy palm. You'll know it's established when it starts growing fronds faster which takes about 2-3 summers. One of my trachys is 2 years old and has never been protected but it does get some minor damage every year and is MUCH slower growing than the trachys I do protect.
    -Alex

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!