Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joebat_gw

Box Store Majesty Palms

joebat
11 years ago

I know most palm lovers wouldn't go near a box store Majesty Palm, but I have a question. You usually see them in a clump at the stoe but all the liturature on this palm states that is a single trunked palm. Do they just throw a bunch of seeds, seelings in a pot? What would happen if I planted one of these outside?

Comments (10)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I think they do throw a few seeds in one container and sell them like that. They are single trunked.

As far as planting one outside it depends. What state are you from? And how cold on average does it get? I'd say you would have the greatest chance of success if you planted near a building or under canopy. Out in the open I doubt it will make it. But I have seen them survive 9a winters. But they were fried pretty good.

- US_Marine

• User
    11 years ago

I have seen pictures of them posted on this forum (planted in the ground), that are either solitary or in groups (often of three it seems). So, although they are solitary--planting them in clumps does not seem to hurt them.
    Their biggest demand (inside or out), is LOTS of H2O!

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

They are a single palm and clumps dont last long, the strongest palms in the pot will outcompete the weaker ones.

• User
    11 years ago

What about the ones that are planted outside, in the ground--they do not survive together? I prefer the solitary in a container, but do clumps have a problem outside? Just curious.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

I would think its the same as indoors. I bought a clump with lots of palms before and all of them died except two.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Eventually most majesty palms in clumps do outcompete each other. I have 2 majesties that are clumps of 3 or 4 and so far they have done great indoors and outdoors but as they get older I'm not sure how well they will handle sharing space with each other. They have grown really fast, probably 3 feet taller now than when I got them last May!
    -Alex

• joebat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Galveston Tx. I am noticing more and more varieties of palms being planted here. Most years it doesn't freeze at all. The Majesty Palms were so cheap, all I would have waisted was time and space. I thought I was buying Ereca Palms. They were mislabeled.

This post was edited by joebat on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 14:15

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I always thought Galveston island was z9b? I've heard of people growing palms other than queens, dates, washy's etc. Well either way its pretty mild. I'd say you have a good chance of growing one especially if you take advantage of micro-climates.

If you can you should take note of the palms growing around. That can be a great indicator if you need a micro-climate or not. If you don't see any palms just as hardy or less hardy look to see if you can see some in the open. But make sure they been there for a few years first as that can tell you if your palm will survive long term or not.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

- US_Marine

• joebat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some people say iour zone is closer to zone 10 here, but we can get a light freeze.. The nurseries just carry the same old Washy, Date Palms, queen, sabal etc.. They tell their customers this is all that will grow here and that's the end of it. I am trying new stuff outside and I hope it pays off. (I think it will!) As seedlings I am trying Sabal Tamaulipas, Stone gate Trachy, Baby queen, Solitaire palms, Dypsis Teddy bear hybrids, Some of these have got to work.
    Hey, any Galveston Palm growers out there.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Depending on what part of zone 10 it can still freeze. Zone z10a is 30f-35. So its possible you are on the high end of z9b but the low end of zone 10. So z9b/10a with winters averaging 28f-32f is what I'm guessing is your average lowest temperature each year? Which would be light to moderate frost depending on duration. If that sounds about right you should try a king palm. And if you like the coconut look B.phoenix is a great looking look alike that is hardy to around the high end z9b. Although with some protection and maybe a little extra warmth in winter you could probably pull off some more tender palms.

- US_Marine

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County