Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good posts for a palm newbie to read?

Posted by dsws (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 14:03

I just got back from Florida, where I picked up handfuls of seeds from under a few palms in parks and parking lots. What should I do, to get them to germinate and survive? In particular, what posts are especially good for a palm newbie to read?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good posts for a palm newbie to read?

All posts are good to read, search for the topics that interest you. Lots of knowledge on this and many other boards including (depending on where you live) the Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board, Palmtalk on the IPS board, Hardy palms for the Northeast, and Hardy Palms in Temperate zones. The other boards are much more specific in knowledge, this is more of a general "people from everywhere and all climates" board.

As far as germinating them, my best success is with the baggie method. Basically, you put some barely damp, not too wet sterile potting mix or peat moss in a ziplock bag with the seeds, and then put it someplace very warm, like on top of a water heater or anywhere else you can achieve max temp inside the house. I wouldn't go any higher than 120F, though I've never found anyplace in my house that warm. Google baggie method and you should get hundreds of posts. Once they sprout roots and first leaves, carefully transplant into larger pots. Palm roots don't like disturbance. Good luck.

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 20:12

If you got the palm seeds down here, and the leaves of the trees looked like your hand rather than a feather, they are more than likely sabal palmetto or washingtonias.

Since you are attempting to grow those, I would start by searching the forums for those particular types.

I personally use an aquarium with a heating pad and thermometer to germinate my seeds, but regardless of your method, you want soil temps at or above 85 degrees for most palm seeds.

o

Hi
One more tip . Be patient . Have and various types go from a month to 27 months for germination. Just recently had a Bismark that took 18 months
One method that often works is give up in disgust throw them in the compost heap and they'll be up in no time lol
gary

o

I posted the ID question as a separate thread. I'm guessing that most of my seeds are sabal palmetto (cabbage palm), but I also have a couple other kinds.

Here's an introductory page elsewhere about germinating palm seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Practical Guide to Germinating Palm Seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here