Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Curious how Va. Beach and north palms are doing

islandbreeze
10 years ago

Looks like this wicked winter weather has reached pretty far south, all the way down to North Carolina and Georgia. I'm wondering if anybody from the VB and north along the coast are on this forum this time of year, and how the unprotected palms there are holding up. I know some members in D.C. and New Jersey have reported defoliation...

Comments (5)

• williamr
    10 years ago

I would also like to know how the palms in these areas are doing. Not just the lows, but the highs many days have been really cold. I just took a peak at Herndon, VA which is expecting a high of 20F today and low single digits this coming week. Highs in the teens and low 20s for an extended period have to be pretty challenging for a Trachycarpus (and other arborescent palms) to deal with.

Here in the Orlando area, thanks to the urban heat island, we haven't even been to freezing, despite the extended chill. Data from the last 10 years (I feel) indicates that Metro Orlando has become so large that the heating influence does not even allow the area to average 1 freeze per year any more. Prior to being heavily developed, this area easily averaged several solid freezes annually, with hard freezes being an almost annual occurrence as well. This, of course, only applies to the metro area and inner suburbs. The landscaping here is increasingly reflecting this change.

My palms are all fine and the ultratropicals like Cyrtostachys are in the greenhouse, as always.

• User
    10 years ago

We will know when it gets warmer and some get uncovered. Too early to tell, especially as my Trachys have been covered up, so will be dry and a bit warmer. It has been bad, but I think/hope mine make it. Just have a pretty good microclimate for them. Will post some pics when we emerge from this arctic regime. Did not have to protect for the past two years. Minors and Needles were not protected but there has been a decent snow cover and that too helps some. Good luck everyone!

• miketropic
    10 years ago

3 with spear pull already, a waggy, green med fan, and butia..The waggy is the only one I am really sad about, I really liked that little guy

• chadec
    10 years ago

I heard good things from Gary's nursery on N.C. coast. No problem with palms there, however some of my younger trachies will be defoliated. All of my washies have been killed out right even though they where covered.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a feeling the washingtonias and butias in Virginia Beach are gonna croak.

I just checked on one of my sabal minors covered with a rose cone cover and it still looks alive but was covered in frost crystals. I hope they all pull through. As for everything else, they're wrapped up so I'll have to wait until warm weather to uncover and see if there were any casualties.