Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting mature Areca / Butterfly palm

Posted by pr1970 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 14:08

Hi All

We`ve been offered an Areca palm by a neighbor to fill a spot next to our pool to give some privacy and shade, the problem is the palm is about 16 feet tall.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to move a plant of this size and whether it would be damaging to it. i`m guessing the root ball is going to weigh a ton , and it will also need to be lifted over a 3ft wall as they have no side access to their garden.

The only other option is to buy one and have the supply install, it will just cost about $600 for something of a similar size.
I just dont want to start digging up my neighbors garden to discover it will be impossible to move without a heavy duty crane.

Its similar to this in size http://www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/54327.jpg

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting mature Areca / Butterfly palm

Heres a better link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I don't know but this is a really hard thing to do without killing the palm. Palms that size can suffer a lot during sudden transplants. �Buena Suerte!

o

They are probably too old to transplant safely. You would need a crane to even possibly get that out safely. I would just buy some new ones. They are cheap at large sizes around here and Im sure you can find them even cheaper and even larger by you. They dont grow too fast so make sure you get ones that are already about 6 feet tall or so.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

ok thanks yes have decided to buy a couple instead, it wouldve meant removing part of the fence anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here