Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec

The deep breath before the cold

chadec
11 years ago

With such a great weekend forecasted all the plants possible got a last taste of fresh air and sunshine before the cold front comes in.

Comments (28)

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No major protection this year. Just burlap and frost clothes. Otherwise all palms are on their own.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Silver chammy.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Being so close to the house I didnt even want put burlap on them.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Largest sabal with pindo and needle palm.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sabal in the front yard and first year pindo. As you can see all the plants from spring were replaced. So the front garden is way behind.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a few seedlings enjoying the rain.

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Looks great, All of my palms are potted so I took them out for the day Saturday. How cold are you supposed to get?

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Your palms look great! Looks like the warm weather is not going to stick around much longer, I have to bring all my plants in today and start covering things up again!
    -Alex

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Andy I know its got to be getting crowded in there. I have around 200 plants in pots and during the winter I cant do anything inside my building without getting poked by something. We are suppose to drop down to low 40's for the high and 3 weeks straight of 20F lows. Plus rain every other day.

Alex, the forcast is calling for rain thru Wed. I will have to pull the tarps over my pindos as well. Cant let them get that wet before a freeze. All my potted plants are getting rotated right now. By the night everything will be back inside or covered.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

In that last pic what is that bush with the little yellow berrys, some type of japonica? I have 5 or 6 huge ones but don't know what they are. all the palms look wonderful can't wait to get out in the yard again and plant a few more.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, that plant is some type of spiria I believe. I cant remember right now. I'll have to cheat and go by lowes to look at a tag. There is one on the other side of the building door not doing so well. They may get transplanted come spring.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Great pics! Thanks for taking the time to post. It's nice to see pics like that in the middle of winter.

In the second pic down, what kind of sabals are those? Looks like the smaller bluer one is Sabal Minor and the larger is Sabal Louisiana? Very nice plants either way, they're huge!

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Island, the minors were both blue pots from lowes sold as blue dwarf palmettos. Its obvious looking at the base these will never trunk. But I love em, they take a beating. Even in the winter of 2010 they didnt even suffer tip burn. Thats why I have 9 of these. May even get several more this year to go along the road inbetween the yucca. I cant wait till sabal louisianas are that big.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

How old are they? Sabal Minors are supposed to be slow growers, but yours obviously like their location. Love the huge tropical leaves.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island I bought those 3 yrs ago as 7 gallon palms. These have never bloomed where as the ones at the fountain bloomed last yr and this. Both putting out 3 inflos each. So I think these minors need to be happier.

Mike, found that shrub in a book. Its japanese pieris.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have had 4" of rain in 2 days. And I believe all of it fell in one place. Another good reason to mound your garden beds above grade.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

My yard looks similar. I planted a bunch of 15 ft tall bamboo and it started the rain..I came out in the morning and it was all layed over in the 4 inch deep puddles...I learned my lesson after I tried to prop them all up in soaking wet boots and 30 degree winds

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, rain like that this time of the year is never a good thing! We had 3 inches of rain from a storm a few weeks ago so I can relate. Looks like your plants were high enough to not be underwater.
    -Alex

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh, I know what you mean, windows open 2 days ago, freezing our tushes off today, frost tonight. Sorry you've got a lake in your yard!

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Mike-the plant in the last pic with the yellowish flowers is pieris japonica. Very hardy evergreen with red new growth. You should easily be able to find them in the big boxes where you live and grow them with ease.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are at 6" of rain at my house now. Snow is starting to mix in now. Not sure how much we are going to get. How much snow has fallen west of N.C.?

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Looks like the Arctic air moved East. Good luck everyone! Hopefully it isn't too bad.

- US_Marine

• User
    11 years ago

I covered the Mexican fans finally. I see some cold days, but they are building it up like Armageddon. 22 F. Minimum is not cause to evacuate in Zone 7 even if the max stays below freezing. Supposed to miss out on all the southern moisture so there will be no snow cover and the grass is still green!

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got lucky, the mountains blocked the snow for me. While 5 miles south Winston Salem has got 2"-4". Come Sat. morning I can remove all the frost clothes off my palms.

• fr8train
    11 years ago

Nice princeps!

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks fr8train, I have a smaller one that might get planted next year. I am kinda worried, because I haven't heard a lot of good about their hardiness.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

I saw on the news video of snow in Jackson, Ms and 3 inches in Birmingham, Al.

• chadec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw that too. Its funny cause when I left for work this morning there wasnt any snow any where. Half a mile up the road and yards where all white. I work only 8 miles away. But by time I got to work the snow was about 2". Its like all the warmer cities ended up with more snow. Greensboro airport PTI. actually set a record.